Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2010 14:00

High LUN Utilization and Response Time

Hopefully you guys wont get tired of me asking to many performance questions.

Again, I noticed a SQL LUN (houses the Index) and noticed that at one point:

:i had over 350ms of RT and the LUN was at 100% utilization

:The Total Throughput during this time was pretty low, so I know that I have enough spindles to accommodate up to my MAX IOPs

:The LUN was doing alot of reads

:The SP wasnt doing any flushing (currently between the default watermark setting)

:disk crossings (%) was between 100-130 level during this time

:Queue Length was between 7-10 during this time

So what gives? What could be my bottleneck? could it be my spindle count?

34 Posts

February 18th, 2010 09:00

One thing to keep in mind is response time is a measured and is inversely proportional to LUN throughput and directly proportional to the q-length at that instant. Low throughput will aritificially report high response times. You should verify the response time as seen from the host/application.

:The Total Throughput during this time was pretty low, so I know that I have enough spindles to accommodate up to my MAX IOPs

:The LUN was doing alot of reads

:The SP wasnt doing any flushing (currently between the default watermark setting)

:disk crossings (%) was between 100-130 level during this time

:Queue Length was between 7-10 during this time

Cheers,

-joji

4.5K Posts

February 19th, 2010 08:00

If you look in the Navisphere On-Line Help - Analyzing Storage-System Performance using Analyzer/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting Performance Metrics - find the section called "Lun Response Time" - that explains what you are seeing.

In addition, there is a lot of very good information in the on-line help about using Analyzer and how to interpret the different metrics. EMC also offers a Performance Class.

glen

18 Posts

July 15th, 2010 06:00

Cool Joji:>)

Henry

No Events found!