Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 27th, 2007 23:00

Hot Spare disk activation.

Hi all,

If we have multiple hotspare disk of differnt sizes then please let me know which hotspare disk will get activated in case of disk failure.
My setup is as below,
Three hotspare disks for each DAE as below,
FC -> 300 GB
FC -> 146GB
& Sata -> 500GB

One of the FC disk of 300GB gone bad, (Note: this was newly created RG & has single LUN of 100GB.)
I found that for this 300GB disk my 146GB hotspare disk gets activated which was unusal for me as my expectation was 300GB hotspare should have been activated which I have already provision.

Please let me know how the Hotspare disk allocation is done what is the algorithem & also what should be the best practices.

Thanks & Regards

Walter Crasto

53 Posts

September 28th, 2007 01:00

The smallest available hotspare of similar type will be used. The size of the bound luns space rather the drive physical space is the parameter used. After all, there is no need to copy unbound space.

For more information go to Powerlink and download "CLARiiON Global Hot Spares Characteristics and Usage Strategies"

2 Intern

• 

215 Posts

September 28th, 2007 01:00

From the "Best Practices Planning Flare 24":
"The replacement algorithm is the smallest hot spare that can accommodate the size of the failed drive taht is the selected target. Secondarily, hot spares on the same loop as the failed drive are preferred over other like-size drives."
The 146Gb should not act as hotspare when a 300GB drive is going to fail. That's not a normal behavior.

best regards
Manfred
No Events found!