Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2013 16:00

How to Gather CLI MetaLUN Expansion Information

Hi,

Our customer provides us with access to the NaviSecCli.exe command line, and we are interested in gathering information regarding his MetaLUNs (Clariion CX300 & CX4, but question is general).

How can I tell the expansion method of each component in the MetaLUN? (Striped vs Concatenated)

The only related thread I've encountered about how to tell the difference between striped and concatenated using CLI is https://community.emc.com/message/467645, but it does not bode well with what I have read so far.

In essence it says: "If there is only a single "Number of LUNs" setting, and shows a value of 2 or greater you have a striped metaLUN."

By this method:

1. A MetaLUN with 1 component having 3 concatenated LUNs is considered striped. Even though its a simple concatenated MetaLUN.
  2. A complex MetaLUN with 2 components: first is 4-LUN striped, and the second is a 2-LUN concatenated, is also considered a striped MetaLUN. Even though the answer is in the middle: its a complex MetaLUN with both.

Is there a way to tell if each component is striped or concatenated inside a MetaLUN using CLI?

We could then properly know if its a simple-striped / simple-concatenated / complex MetaLUN (and its component expansion data).

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Ben

4.5K Posts

February 6th, 2013 14:00

The attavched document should provide all the information about metaLUNs that will help you with you question.

glen

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 6th, 2013 15:00

i can confirm that you can't tell the difference from cli between regular striped meta device and complex meta devices where second container was created by concatenating two LUNs.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for your replies;

@ Glen

Regarding the White Parper: I believe I found a more updated version of it at http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h1024-clariion-metaluns-cncpt-wp-ldv.pdf. However I did not find a strict rule that would destinguish a component's expansion method through CLI though...

@ Dynamox

I agree with you, I'm thinking the same thing that CLI will not be able to distinguish a MetaLUN component's expansion method (striping / concatenation).

I have made a few tests of constructing several MetaLUNs in different configurations (different components created with different methods), and found no rule that would tell me later what configuration I used (striping / concatenation).

Regards,

- Ben

No Events found!