Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2009 00:00

How to reset an AX4-5ISC back to factory default setting?

Hi all,

I'm assigned to configure an AX4-5ISC (single controller) box. It's an used box, the previous user has set IP etc, and the box is initiated.

In this scenario, I do not know the controller IP, subnet, its user name and password. Could anyone please advice how to go about resetting this storage box?

EDIT: I understand we can do a no-password login by pressing the magic button. But one needs IP to do that. I also understand we can go to http://AX4-IP/setup, but, we do not know its IP.

Message was edited by:
isharestuff

149 Posts

July 8th, 2009 06:00

If you don't know the ip you need to connect the serial cable and establish a ppp connection see procedure below :
You must use a serial connection for the following procedure to work:

Establish a PPP connection to one of the storage processors (SPs).
Point your browser to this URL: http:// 192.168.1.1/setup
Click "Add a New Account."
Enter a user name and in the New Password Verification text box, type in the password again.
Click "Restart Management Server."

Note: You may need to restart Management Server on both SPs.

Point your browser to this URL: http://

Note: You also have the option of completely resetting domain security. However, if you select this option, you will destroy ALL domain information, including domain information for the master, other arrays, and portals. If you decide to reset domain security, replace Step 3 with the following:

Click "Reset Security" and confirm. (You must reset security on both SPs.)

Then perform all other steps as described.

the ppt user and password should be clariion1992 clariion1992

For more info you can refer to primus emc55746

Regards
Pierluca

July 8th, 2009 23:00

Hi Pierluca,

Thanks for the reply. Could you describe a little bit more how can I establish a serial connection to the server, or, did you have any material available so that I can refer to.

I've done serial connection to servers, but never on EMC storage.

149 Posts

July 9th, 2009 05:00

Please follow the steps below for create a PPP connection via serial from a pc to the array .

To set up the direct serial port connection to the array follow these steps:

Note: Remote Access Services and Network and Dial-Up Settings are installed by default during the initial installation of Windows 2000.

1. Select Start -> Settings -> Network and Dial Up Connections -> Make New Connection.
2. When the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next to begin.
3. Click the Connect directly to another computer button and click Next.
4. Click on the Guest button.
5. Click Next. The Select a Device window displays.
6. On the Select a Device pull down menu, select Communications between two computers (COM1) or select COM2 if the cable is connected to COM2 and click Next.
7. On Connection Availability window, select Create this connection: For all users button.
8. Click Next.
9. From the Completing Network Connection Wizard dialog box, assign the connection a name.
10. Click Finish.
11. The Connect dialog box with the name that you assigned to it displays. Click the Properties button.
12. In the Properties dialog box under the General tab click the Configure button.
13. In the Modem Configuration dialog box click the Maximum Speed pull down menu and select 115200 bps. Click OK to close the Modem Configuration dialog box.
14. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
15. In the User name field enter the following: clariion1992.
16. In the Password field enter the following: clariion1992.
17. Check the Save Password check box to save the password.
18 . Establish the connection
19. point to ipaddress 192.168.1.1/setup from the internet browser
Regards
Pierluca

July 12th, 2009 20:00

Hi Chiodp,

Thanks for the info and the step-by-step guide. I'm sure it will not be only helpful to me but others, too.

Also, I'd like to share an alternative to overcome situation where IP is unknown. It is security tool that one can easily find on Internet. Just do a Google search with string like IP scan. Be sure you are authorized to scan within the network.

Thanks all.

1 Message

September 9th, 2009 15:00

Instead of a network scan, rather do a network sniff.
Tools such as Wireshark will help you there.
If you don't know about network port mirroring, simply plug in a cross over cable between the device and your laptop and sniff every incoming packet.
No Events found!