Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2011 22:00

Initializing steps/installation document also configurationof EMC AX4-5FX

Hi,

Need some help for initializing steps/installation document also configuration guide about EMC AX4-5FX. Also how can we update the basic firmware of different H/W of this EMC AX4-5FX.

Regards,

Masud

44 Posts

November 14th, 2011 06:00

For AX4 initialization i still use the older Navisphere Storage System Initialization Wizard, i find it easier to use than the full Unisphere. Anyway as you can see from the attached pic the process is fully automated. All you have to make sure is that your workstation is on the same subnet as where you've put the SPA/SPB network connection. The wizard will 'scan' for the new AX4s and once found will offer you the option to set the IPs, subnet and Gateway; you don't need any serial port connects. I have 24 AX4s on our site and have never once used the

serial port for anything.NST-wizard.jpg

28 Posts

November 15th, 2011 01:00

Thanks for replying andy,

if the AX4-5 box is new, i think there is no IP there, so if i want to initialize ( just set the IP in SPA/SPB ) the array without any LAN switch, can i connect my workstation direct cross cable to SPA management port and have to use the unisphere initialization utility.

Masud

44 Posts

November 15th, 2011 03:00

Hi, there is actually a default IP, but I can't remember it at the moment. Any 'old' small hub/switch will do the job for connecting the SPs and your client, problem with X-over network cable is you can only talk to one SP at a time and the intialization utility is going to prompt you for both SP IPs and if you don't give both SPs different IPs on the same subnet the initialization utility will error and not complete.

I think if you google it you can find the default IPs the SPs come with, but the utility above has always worked for me.

28 Posts

November 15th, 2011 21:00

Thanks.

I cant find the default IP of any SP. will it do if i setup my workstation in 192.168.16.110 IP (or what IP should i put in my workstation) and put the AX4-5 management port on the same LAN switch. Then the initialization wizard will find the SPA/SPB and ask me to put new IP right???

Regards,

Masud

44 Posts

November 16th, 2011 01:00

For example, lets assume the default AX4 IP is 192.168.16.2, this being a class C the subnet will be 255.255.255.0, so run a cat5 cable from each SP to a small hub/switch, another cable from your laptop/PC to the hub/switch set to, say 192.168.16.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 (you can leave gateway empty). Now you should be able to ping both SPs. Next run the initialization utility on your laptop which in turn will find your AX4 and offer you the chance to change all network settings.

44 Posts

November 16th, 2011 04:00

Hi, but that's what i said in point18 above. The box DOES come with a default IP, it's just i cannot remember what it is, that is why i suggested you google it. Someone else on here may remember it. If you find out that the default is, for example, 192.168.11.1 (i'm just making this IP up for the purposes of this example) then you just put your laptop on the same subnet, all SPs and laptop through a standalone hub/switch and then you can ping and access the AX4. All you need to ensure (as the message in the initialization utility above says) is that your connected laptop is on the same subnet. The intialization utility with find the box (no matter what IP it has) as long as it is on the same subnet. There is no such thing as 'no ip' even a 0.0.0.0 is an IP.

If you're having problems with this you're going to have to go to the serial route and then use something like hyperTerminal to talk to you, one SP at a time. The reason the serial route is recommended is because it does not use IPs to communicate with the SPs and therefore if you set the SP IPs wrong you can always fix it this way. Good luck !

28 Posts

November 16th, 2011 04:00

My point is that if the AX4-5 box is new then there will be no IP in both SP. Then if i connect my laptop through simple hub with any subnet IP , then through the help Unisphere initialization wizard can detect the EMC autometically.

Masud

No Events found!