Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2012 09:00

Is there a way to disk wipe a CLARiiON SAN storage?

We replaced our old CLARiiON SAN storage, and we are wanting to disk wipe the unit to remove any sensitive data on it.  Is there a method of doing this or would we have to contact EMC to have them wipe it?

1.4K Posts

November 14th, 2012 10:00

You'll need to contact EMC for Disk Erasure Activity/ Certified Erasure.

247 Posts

November 15th, 2012 01:00

The option Ankit provided is of course the quickest, safest and easiest solution and the only solution that will give you an official data erasure certificate. But you will have to pay for EMC to come do that...

If you don't need a certificate (and if you don't have extreme policies regarding data erasure), you could also:

- Delete all LUNs/RAID groups

- Create new RAID groups and LUNs. This in itself will trigger a wipe/zero of the drives. Once this is complete (disk activity LEDs off), there should be all zero's on the drives. But it's still possible to get some data off using advanced hardware, so...

- Assign those LUNs to a host, on which you use disk shredding software (sdelete, anything you like basically.. there are lots of tools or bootCDs available).

Repeat the above steps for as many times as you'd like, in different configs (vary the RAID groups, swap disks between disk slots).. be creative!

None of these steps give you an official certificate, but it will make life extremely difficult for people targetting your data

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 15th, 2012 05:00

if it's going in the dumpster, shred the disks and get an official document.

2 Posts

November 15th, 2012 06:00

Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm relatively new to SAN storage stuff, so just trying to get pointed in the right direction.  I think we have a plan now based on the info everyone provided.  Thanks again.

1.4K Posts

November 15th, 2012 08:00

No Problem. I still insist on Certified Erasure since you mentioned it has sensitive data. Ofcourse, its not free but it does give peace of mind! Otherwise, Jon has explained the alternative method in the efficient manner.

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

November 19th, 2012 01:00

+1

No Events found!