Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2012 22:00

LUN allocation owner

Hi

We have migrated a list of LUNs from raid group to storage pool, after the migration the LUN has changed its default or current owner.

The allocation owners keeps track of meta data by Storage pool, and we would like to fix the current owner and default owner to be on the same SP as allocation owner.

What is the best way to identify list of luns their allocation, default and current owner view?

So we can go through and maually make a change.

Thanks

S

May 31st, 2012 00:00

I would recommend generating the "Pool LUNs" report available in both Navisphere (FLARE 29) and Unisphere (FLARE 30+).  You didn't mention which interface you are running, but just look for the "Report Wizard".

The "Pool LUNs" report is available via the following breadcrumb trail:

All Reports -> Configuration -> LUN Reports -> Pool LUNs

The sort is by "Folder Name" (default folder of "SP A" and "SP B" which correspond to Current Owner) and a secondary sort by "Pool LUN Number".  You will then see (side-by-side) the following columns:

Default Owner

Current Owner

Allocation Owner

Any LUNs where the SP isn't the same for all three will be very obvious.

19 Posts

May 31st, 2012 05:00

Thanks Chris,

I will give pool LUN report a try tomorrow. Never thought about Unisphere reporting.

We are running FLARE 30 on CX4-4960.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 31st, 2012 06:00

not pretty but you could create new LUNs on appropriate SPs and use LUN Migrator to move them around.

247 Posts

Chris, are you aware of any way to change the allocation owner?

We've got a system that is pretty unbalanced. The issue is resolved by trespassing a couple of LUNs, but you'll end up with a lot of trespassed LUNs in the various UI's. And after a FLARE code upgrade, everything hops back to default and you're back to square one.

Changing the default owner in a pool gives you the useful popup window that warns against doing it...

247 Posts

Hmm, I was slightly scared that answer would come..

Oh well, better than nothing right? The LUNs are small so it is do-able! Thanks dynamox!

474 Posts

May 31st, 2012 08:00

Once you get your Pool LUNs report, you should make sure that the “default” owner matches the “allocation” owner for every LUN. Anywhere that those two don’t match should be corrected. Then you can easily use command line to “trespass -mine” to set all LUNs to their correct allocation owners anytime it is necessary.

As far as changing the “allocation” owner, you will need to create a new LUN on the correct SP and LUN Migrate.

Richard J Anderson

247 Posts

June 12th, 2012 05:00

Dynamox, i've used the LUN migrate procedure a couple of times last week. Works perfectly.. you have to manually trespass and change the default owner to match the allocation owner once the migration finishes, but otherwise.. great!

Tnx!

No Events found!