Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2010 12:00

Looking for Help in setting up a snap copy

I have a new CX4-960 array, I have setup snap clones on a cx700 but never tried a copy.  Any documenation or instruction would be greatly aprreciated.

32 Posts

April 27th, 2010 13:00

A snap shot, I have some history with setting up snap clones but never had to create a snap shot.  

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

you can find good examples in SnapView admin guide

Home  >  Support  >  Technical Documentation and Advisories  > Software ~ S ~ Documentation  >  SnapView

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

32 Posts

I downloaded the guide but it's not exactly what I am looking for.  have you ever setup a snapshot?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

snap copy or san copy ?

32 Posts

Thanks that seems more of what I am looking for.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

April 28th, 2010 01:00

Without any manual the steps are similar to this:

1. create a number of Reserved LUN Pool LUN's (RLP). You need at least the same number of LUN's as simultanious snapshots on different LUN's. You can start with creating a pool that is 10 to 20% of the total size of the LUN's you're going to snap, although Imust say that this value is a rule of thumb. I've seen snapshots occupying all of the RLP LUN's in 4 hours (RLP was 20% of the LUN size) and in other environments a 500GB LUN didn't even occupy RLP LUN's with the size of 5% of the original LUN, so it all depends on your specific environment. You will be able to add more LUN's to the RLP when you need more space in the RLP.
  2. Select the LUN you need to create a snapshot of and create it (it's a definition, not the actual snapview session)
  3. When you want to start a session, go to the snapshot you just defined, right click and create a session (start using the COFW - copy on first write)
  4. When you need access to the snapshot from a host, you need to add the snapshot to a storage group and activate the session

So there's a difference between starting a session and activating it.

When you need more LUN's to be snapped at the same time, you should create a session with more than 1 LUN in it. This is particular useful for database servers where you'd like the logs and the database to be snapped at exactly the same time.

32 Posts

August 1st, 2010 09:00

Thanks.

No Events found!