Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 28th, 2013 12:00

Running a 4pdae at 2gbps

I have a CX44 system that I am attempting to perform a secure data erasure service on.  For this to work I must disconnect the disk expansion drawers from the controller and attach directly to my HBA like this: HSSDC2>SFP>FC Switch>LC SFP>LC cable>qlogic HBA in HP server running blancco.

My issue is that when I attach the DAE to my FC switch, i do not get a link.  I believe this is because my switch is 2gbps and the DAE is 4gbps.  Is there any way to force the DAE drawers to use 2gbps without the contoller attached?  Most other storage products I've done wipes on have a small switch somewhere on the chassis to change from 4 to 2.  How do I force these disk drawers to use 2gbps and not 4?  Any help appreciated!

4.5K Posts

March 1st, 2013 12:00

The CX4 DAE (disk enclosures) us copper cables and Arbitrated Loop. The speed is set internally. I'm not sure you can connect a DAE to a host HBA.

glen

March 1st, 2013 13:00

You can connect directly although I'm sure EMC does not support this for any reason.  There is really no practical reason to do it unless you are hacking together something in your basement or, like me, performing data erasure on the SAN where the granularity of individual drive serial numbers is required.

We do this regularly on CX3 systems and also DMX3.  Goes something like this; unplug the HSSDC cables going to the controller unit, plug in an HSSDC>LC adapter and run it fiber to my HBA.   After this my data erasure software sees the X amount of individual physical disks in the drawers.  This setup works fine on the 2gbps stuff because all my FC switches/HBA etc are 2gbps but the 4gbps drawers do not want to negotiate down to 2gbps and link to my HBA.

Oh well, for this job I wiped the DMX3, then moved the drives from the CX4 into the DMX3 chassis and wiped there at 2gbps.

No Events found!