Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2010 21:00

Suggestion MetaLun or pools for CX4

Dear Experts,

I have existing configuration Clariion CX3-80 (Flare26 p25, disk 300Gb/15K) with configuration Raid10 (with 10 Diks/RG) and Lun Create with a Metalun slice per 50 GB,

and next 3 month I have new CX4-480 with Flare 30 (Disk 300GB/15K), my plan migration old CX3 to CX4 with MirrorView sync.

My question , what yours suggestion for Lun create with a Metalun or Pools?

and how best practice CX4 + Solaris10+ OracleDB 10g + pools. ?

how many significant performance metalun vs pools?

Thanks

116 Posts

September 13th, 2010 18:00

Have you looked for a White Paper or at the Best Practises .. If you are happy with what is running now then just use the same.

392 Posts

September 14th, 2010 07:00

This is a good question.  The right answer however is going to depend on knowledge of your workload, and the state of your MetaLUN.

Generally, a MetaLUN will always have greater performance capability than a pool.  However, a MetaLUN requires design, and maintenance.  If not designed for expansion, scaling a MetaLUN can become a ‘challenge’.  A pool can be expanded very easily, but does not have the highest level of potential performance.

So, if you’re running a high-performance workload against your MetaLUN and you are meeting or barely exceeding your performance requirements; stay with a MetaLUN.  The pool will not be able to match the MetaLUN’s performance.

Now, if your MetaLUN is a pure capacity construct, the pool becomes a more valid option.  This implies your MetaLUN’s performance exceeds its requirements by a comfortable margin.  In particular, if your MetaLUN is nearing its full capacity, migrating it to a pool rather than re-architecting it would likely be less labor-intensive for the future.

However, the move to a new storage system can be hectic.  If your MetaLUN currently has enough capacity for the foreseeable future, and is performing well, there is a lot to be said for keeping it ‘as is’.     

The whitepaper, EMC CLARiiON MetaLUNs in its ‘Virtual provisioning’ section contains a longer discussion of the tradeoffs between MetaLUNs and pools.  That paper is available on Powerlink.

No Events found!