Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2010 23:00

cx3-80 R26 defragement

Hi there,

We are using CX3-80 with Flare R26 we've created some RAID groups with various LUNs and overtime some LUNs have been created and others deleted which means the RAID groups have built up some blank spots within them in various areas.

I did some reading and found the defragement function can be used to realign all the used data next to each other so I can have all the free space at the end of the RAID group.

Has anyone used this feature before since I'm new to this feature and is it destructive on data? Secondly if I'm using metaLUNs which span across a few RAID groups and also some of the RAID groups have blank space will running the defragement where there's metaLUNs in between cause any issues on the metaLUN?

Cheers many thanks.......

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 14th, 2010 05:00

defrag is safe to use, it simply re-arranges data in the raid group. Feel safe to use it with MetaLUNs as well, i kick mine off right before the weekend when it's low activity times.

234 Posts

December 14th, 2010 06:00

You can set various priorities for defragmentation as Low, Medium, High. Once started it cannot be cancelled only thing you can change is the priority depending on how busy your storage array is.

regards,

Samir

34 Posts

December 15th, 2010 04:00

Yes go on an use it, i can give better performance, as the heads on the spindels don't have to travel so long og the platter.

I always defrag my RG when i have removed luns, and i run 3X CX3-80 Flare 26

Kenneth

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

December 15th, 2010 04:00

A tip:

if you have a 25GB gap somewhere and you have a 25GB LUN somewhere in the end of the Raid Group, simply move this one LUN using LUN Migrate, unless this 25GB LUN in the end is there for a reason. Heavily accessed LUNs should be somewhere in the middle of the Raid Group and the more you go to each of the end of the RG, the less heavier used should these LUNs be. This way the disk heads will mainly stay in the middle segment of the drive and don't have to "travel" so each of the sides too much

No Events found!