Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2010 14:00

how do I get the server to "see" the CX300 SAN

I have read a bunch of material form this site, and went to the server wizard and it created the custom document for getting the server to see the SAN, and attach to the storage device.

these are the steps I followed from that document:

Installed the Navisphere Server Utility

Installed Powerpath

Installed the Host Agent

With each install i followed the directions, with the server utility and Host Agent I was asked if I was connecting this server via iSCSI, i checked the ol server this new server is replacing, and didnt see iSCSI installed, so I said no to those questions.

When I get to the part where is states Register the Server using the Navisphere Server utility, I dont have that option anywhere in that utility.

the server utility box has a space that shows the HBA's and I dont see any there.  I checked the old server which has Qlogic boards in it, and during he boot up it has those boards BIOS as disabed, as does the new server, so i have looked back and forth and cant see why it cant see the HBA's in the server utility box, and why i dont have the option of registering the server.

Am i supposed to get into the SAN at some point and assign the storage, and then the server will "see" the SAN ?

I have gone through this document many times, and i dont understand wha I have to do next, or why i don thave that register the server option in the server utility.

Like I posted before, im a newbie here, and am under a lot of pressure to get this done in the next few days, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

j

31 Posts

July 19th, 2010 10:00

I downloaded HBAnywhere from HP, and it doesnt show the WWN, i click on Discover and refresh and nothing, nothing in the left panel at all.

the file I got from HP is cp009001_34a9_x86.zip

it would not install the first time, so I extracted it, and there are two setup files, the one that has the HBAnywhere icon runs and installs, but the cpqsetup.exe wont install, just errors out.

I also went to the HP site and downloaded HBAnywhere (filename: HBAnyware_41a35_x86_cp011161), and that installed ok, and states that it is starting discovery (descovery engine initilized - updating discovery tree), and has Hosts in the left panel, but never shows the two cards in this system, so I dont know how to get the WWN's form both those cards.

any ideas?

Could it be because the BIOS is disabled at strat up (the current server that has Qlogic cards is set to disbled, so i dont think it is that, thought to ask though)

31 Posts

July 19th, 2010 11:00

System Management Home page (runs locally on the server), and it showed me the WWN's of the two cards... phew.. what a pain..... i think the HP software isnt "seeing" the cards due to firmware or something, anyone concurr?

anyway, im going to make a start (i have beeen working on this first of WWN all day) working on the solutions from top to bottom of this post,a nd will try to get this post updated today (bear with me though, it is busy even though we dont have students here).

thanks,

4.5K Posts

July 19th, 2010 11:00

The BIOS on the HBA is used when you "boot from SAN" - when you use the HBA to boot your OS on the host. When this is disabled it does not affect the connection to the switch or the array.

If your switch has a GUI interface, you can find the HBA WWN's by looking at the "name server" entries - find the port that corresponds to the port that the HBA cable is plugged into.

Another possibility is that the switch may have a limited number of ports licensed - on some switches, you purchase the switch with some of the ports licensed to use and some ports not licensed and you can not use the unlicensed ports. Cables plugged into unlicesnsed ports will not show connections.

If you host has HP HBA's that you need to check on the Emulex WEB page to see if they're supported with EMC arrays

These are the two that I see listed:

HP LPe1205-HP
HP LPe1105-HP

http://www.emulex.com/downloads/emc.html

glen

20 Posts

July 19th, 2010 12:00

These are the steps in case you are using qlogic card and you are trying to perform a boot from san.

Follow these steps:

1. Select the HBA (with Cntrl+Q because it is a QLogic card).
  2. Go into the HBA configuration settings and select "Host Adapter Settings."
  3. Enable the HBA BIOS.
  4. Go to HBA configuration settings and select "Selectable Boot Settings."
  5. Select the WWN that you want to boot from.
  6. Select the Fibre Channel device.
  7. Save and exit.
  8. Go into the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU) and select "Boot Controller Order."
  9. Select the relevant HBA as a boot device.

Note       To install a Windows server you would need a floppy drive with the HBA drivers. Booting from a Smart Start CD will give you an error.

4.5K Posts

July 19th, 2010 12:00

What is the model number for the HP HBA's? If there are Qlogic, then you need the SANsufer utility, the HBA's are Emulex then you need the HBAnywhere utility.

glen

31 Posts

July 21st, 2010 10:00

Ok, i have a couple more questions.

I was able to get into the switch (its a silworm 3200), and saw all of the menus that you stated.  please see below for some of the questions I had about the install steps you gave:

1     Create an alias for the new servers HBA.  Something like  Server_Name_HBA1 or something.  This is done on the first tab. - Done.

2      Create a new zone and add that alias along with the storage port.    This is done on the second tab. I created the Alias, but am not sure what to do about the Storage port.  Under Ports and Devices I see 1(SW3200) which must be the switch name. and under that is a bunch of the ports (im assuming) that are labelled 1,0 1,1 1,2 all the way up to 1,7 most of them have a + sign  to the left of them and when you expand the + sign I see a MAC (or WWN) with another +, if I expand that I get another MAC (or WWN) somtimes they are the same, sometimes not. I then get another + and expanding that shows the either a Qlogic or Emulex (im assuming because of the name being model number).  My question, is that in looking at the present server that this will replace, what do I add as the storage port.  Is this the port that my new server is plugged into, or soemthign else.  Also I have the option to Add FA Host,  Add Member, Add Other.  Obviously I want whatever I add to work the same as the old server.

3     Add the new zone to the  active zoneset config   This is done on the third tab. I do see this, it is the 4th tab over (you have a pretty darn good memory mate)

4     On  the menu at the top of the screen, there will be an option for "saving"  the zoneset and enabling the zoneset. I see this, it has Save Just Config, and Enable (which will save the config AND enable it.

I look forward to your help with Step 2.

thanks,

542 Posts

July 21st, 2010 11:00

DeVoiD wrote:

One quick thing.

I presumed to try one test, and went through all of the steps on Zoning, alias's, etc, and then I clicked on the Action Menu, and selected Enable (which is to save and Enable the Zone).

when I went back into the switch it wasnt there, nothing that I had created was there.

Do I need to restart the SAN or something?

any ideas why it didnt save?

I did the same test ont he other Switch, and same issue.

when you did your test,  did you actually create new zones and have alias's in them?  Brocades wont save a zone to a config if it is empty.  you can always create new zones and save them.  you dont have to add them to the zoneset till your ready.

I dont see any reason why it didnt save if you did those steps....

542 Posts

DeVoiD wrote:

Ok, i have a couple more questions.

I was able to get into the switch (its a silworm 3200), and saw all of the menus that you stated.  please see below for some of the questions I had about the install steps you gave:

1     Create an alias for the new servers HBA.  Something like  Server_Name_HBA1 or something.  This is done on the first tab. - Done.

2      Create a new zone and add that alias along with the storage port.    This is done on the second tab. I created the Alias, but am not sure what to do about the Storage port.  Under Ports and Devices I see 1(SW3200) which must be the switch name. and under that is a bunch of the ports (im assuming) that are labelled 1,0 1,1 1,2 all the way up to 1,7 most of them have a + sign  to the left of them and when you expand the + sign I see a MAC (or WWN) with another +, if I expand that I get another MAC (or WWN) somtimes they are the same, sometimes not. I then get another + and expanding that shows the either a Qlogic or Emulex (im assuming because of the name being model number).  My question, is that in looking at the present server that this will replace, what do I add as the storage port.  Is this the port that my new server is plugged into, or soemthign else.  Also I have the option to Add FA Host,  Add Member, Add Other.  Obviously I want whatever I add to work the same as the old server.

3     Add the new zone to the  active zoneset config   This is done on the third tab. I do see this, it is the 4th tab over (you have a pretty darn good memory mate)

4     On  the menu at the top of the screen, there will be an option for "saving"  the zoneset and enabling the zoneset. I see this, it has Save Just Config, and Enable (which will save the config AND enable it.

I look forward to your help with Step 2.

thanks,

How many alias's are listed on the alias tab?  the past users might not have made alias's for the storage ports.   This will be a good time for you to do that also.  The storage ports will start with 50:00 while HBA ports start with 20:00 for Qlogic and 10:00 for emulex (if i remember right).  You should have 2 storage ports going to each switch. 1 port will be coming from SPA & SPB.  that gives you your redundancy.

You can trace the cables from the back of the CX300 to see which ports they are plugged into (unless they are labeled) and then create alias's for them.  Then when you go to the zone tab, you dont have to mess with all the +'s.  just pick it from the alias's at the bottom.

31 Posts

One quick thing.

I presumed to try one test, and went through all of the steps on Zoning, alias's, etc, and then I clicked on the Action Menu, and selected Enable (which is to save and Enable the Zone).

when I went back into the switch it wasnt there, nothing that I had created was there.

Do I need to restart the SAN or something?

any ideas why it didnt save?

I did the same test ont he other Switch, and same issue.

31 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 07:00

Also, please bear in mind, that I want this new server to use the same drives as the old server that I want to retire.  Im sure this might cause an issue when creating or assigning storage groups from within the SAN.  I can understand that it would not be wise for two servers being connected to the same storage group, but in this case it would be okay, as we have a drive mapping to the old server, and I would only have to change a script for all users to then be mapped to this new server (which is connected to the same drives as the old server), then I could power off the old server.  I hope that makes sence.

thanks, and I look forward to a reply.

31 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 07:00

When I click on the Alias Tab, and then the Down arrow there are 9 alias's listed.

They did one called cx300a (shows a 50: address) another cx300b (another 50: address), and then each server we had (with 20: addresses, some are no longer here, while others are not connected to the SAN).

I see the 50: which is in port 0, then I see all the 20: which are the Qlogic cards in some of the servers, and then I see my 10: which is in port 6 of the fiber switch.

looking at the server that I want to replace (its alias selected). on the right panel it shows its Qlogic WWN and when I look for that WWN I find it in the left panel by expanding Port 1,2  that shows a 20: address (I assume the WWN of the actual Port ont he switch) and expanding that it shows the servers Qlogic WWN physical fiber Card.

So, my question is, when I set up my new Alias for the new server, I create the alias, and the find the port its on (1,6), and keep expanding that until I see the Emulex 10: WWN  Is that correct so far?

if so, do I then click on the 10: WWN for my emulex card, and add it as FA Host or do I add it as Member ?

I wish I could include a screenshot......

31 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 10:00

Well, through total guess work, and the Help of you very kind people,i just created an alias as kenn showed me, along with a new Zone (applying ti to a current zone), and then associated and save (with enable), and while it doesnt show up as a saved config, i know for a fact that it did save that config into both the Fiber switches, as I went through the log file of the Fiber switch.

I then went into the SAN, and though seeing how the old server was connected, I made what I hoped were the correct settings for this new server, knowing that it probably wasnt a good idea to conenct the new server to the same LUN's of the SAN.  But as I explained it is only a login script that has users connecting tot he old server, which in turn has those SAN drives showing as physical, and I knwo a person cant write to it from two different profiles.

I did all the settings I coudl think of, and then selected Update Host.

I then remoted into the server and went into Disk management, and NOTHING.... well, as I was dinking around, suddenly and without warning both of the Drives (the two luns associated with G: F on my old server) showed up.  I thought I was seeing things, so I rebooted the new server and it comes up with the drives.

So, my messing around in the SAN seems to have produced fruit.

I still have questions though, and the important one is this:

I need to have this new server renamed to the old server (it has to replace the old server 1:1) .  If I power off the old server, get into this new server and rename it to the old server, will it lose connection to the SAN, and if so, do I have to go through the whole process again on cerating alias'zone, SAN work, etc?

Last thing, when I RDP'd into the old server I now see that Powepath Monitor has  a flashing \ line through it.  When I open the Monitor and expand the storage array, and click on SPB0, it shows two failed paths C2T0D1 and I can only assume it might be from something I did with my new server? any ideas on that? as it never flashed before.

thanks again for all your assistance.

BTW for the person that answered my question abotu the BIOS of the Emulex cards, nope not booting it to SAN, thanks for your help).

542 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 11:00

I need to have this new server renamed to the old server (it has to  replace the old server 1:1) .  If I power off the old server, get into  this new server and rename it to the old server, will it lose connection  to the SAN, and if so, do I have to go through the whole process again  on cerating alias'zone, SAN work, etc?

You wont lose SAN connectivity by renaming the server.   You might run into windows issues though.  It sounds like you have both the new and old servers in the same storage group correct?  If so, i recommend that you remove the old one. That way you cant get any data corruption from 2 servers accessing the same data at the same time.   I would do these steps:

Verify that new server can see drives.

Lablel drives on new server the same as old D:, e:  etc...

Power down old server

Remove old server from storage group on CX300.

Change name/IP address on new server.  Reboot

Make sure you can still access everything on new server.

If everything is running fine,  I would then deregister the old server from the CX300 and remove the zones for that server on the switches

Last thing, when I RDP'd into the old server I now see that Powepath  Monitor has  a flashing \ line through it.  When I open the Monitor and  expand the storage array, and click on SPB0, it shows two failed paths  C2T0D1 and I can only assume it might be from something I did with my  new server? any ideas on that? as it never flashed before

You might have gotten this becuase you added the new server to the existing storage group.

Check your private message on the forum:)

31 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 07:00

Sorry for my tardy reply, it has been a trying week, plus this forum being down, and then just testy whenm it came back up has delayed a lot of things.

Quick note: I see that I have 1 private message, but when i go to Private Message, there inst one, even though I can see the Inbox says I have a PM.... very odd.  It also shows that I have one in Sent, and I have never PM'd here... I have no idea whay I cant get to that PM...

I made sure that the new server has the drives letters the same as the old server.

As for renaming the server, this is my plan.

presume that the new server is called "NewServer" and the existing Server, the old one is called "OldServer".

1) Because the server name (and physical server) are in AD, I will put NewServer into a Workgroup (I had joined it to AD during Install).

2) Get IP information, etc from OldServer.

3) I will power down OldServer.

4) On NewServer, I will change its name to OldServer, and join it to our Domain (by putting it into a workgroup, renaming and then joining, I should not run into the issue of "A Computer with that name already exists within the Domain).

5) I will then put in the IP information I got from step 2)

6) In Disk Manager, make sure the drives show up as they are supposed too.

I think that is all the steps I need to do.  Would you mind looking them over and seeing if I missed anything.

By the way, seeing as the original OldServer is not powered up, cant I keep that Storage group? because when I did all of that configuration remember I made the new server part of that storage group so that I would have the same drives, etc show up in Disk manager.  If I deleted that original old server storage group, then my new server wouldnt show the drives, right?

Also, with the old server turned off, I wont have any issue with two servers accessing the same storage group.

thanks again fro all your help, I truely appreciate it.  I have to say, while I think this technology is pretty darn cool, i think it is waaaay over comples to attach a server to it (having the Fiber switch, zones, groups, etc).

I look forward to yoru reply,

j

542 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 07:00

As for your Server renaming steps, i dont see a problem but im not a AD expert:)   I would recommend checking DNS and removing any old records if there are any.

For the storage group, once the OldServer is turned off, you can remove it from the storage group.  It is done the same way that you added the new server.  You dont want to delete that storage group as your new server would not see the disks.   Plus, you cannot remove a storage group anyway when it still has Hosts and Lun's attached to it.  I would then go into Connectivity Status and "deregister " the old server.  Before you do that, make sure you remove the zones for the old server from the active zoneset or they will just keep coming back.

Hope this helps

No Events found!