Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2013 23:00

lun mapping and masking

Hi,

Please I like to check a thing in which I am confused.

During the creation of a LUN,i saw that there is also necessary to assign an hostid to this LUN,Is this lun mapping?What is the hostid?Is somehow the wwpn of an hba this hostid?

Other way is like below:

Then also I saw that there is necessary to map the lun to a certain port in Clariion(wwpn),who is connected to the server who need to see the new lun.This is lun mapping.right?

then on the server we could perform lun masking if we like to see only a part of the total luns mapped to a certain port in controller of Clariion.

tnx a lot,

marius

812 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 00:00

If you are referring to HLU (Host Lun ID) , it is the identity assigned to the LUN (which will be represented from array side by ALU - Array Lun ID) for host identification. Host will not be aware of the ALU of the LUN assigned to it and it will be using HLU.

HLU/ALU numbers

Mapping the LUN to a specific port and masking is done with Symmetrix systems. With Clariion Systems, we have to create a storage group and then add the LUNs and registered hosts to the same. This is the LUN masking in Clariion/VNX.

17 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 00:00

Hi Vipin,

When we register a host,it means that we assing the wwpn(port name) of HBA as initiator to the storage?

tnx a lot,

marius

812 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 01:00

By definition, registration is the process of making the host known to the storage. By registering a host, you will be assigning the hostname and IP address to the host connections/HBAs.

812 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 02:00

Once the host is connected via multiple paths with storage (same HBA port via different storage ports/ multiple HBA ports etc...), it will display multiple entries in the connectivity status (even though it is from same HBA/host ). You have to register the paths,  ( HBAs- as you mentioned in the comment above). This is the process of host registration.

17 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi Vipin,

Please clarify with me things.I seen somewhere that also to register host,we could register HBA of that host in Clariion.Right?So wwpn of each port within HBA?

Is this other way to register a host which is different of registering ip and hostname(of a certain host) in storage?

17 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 03:00

Hi Vipin,

In order to register a host(wwpn of HBA) with a storage,there is necessary to register HBAs, IP and host name?

tnx a lot,

marius

812 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 03:00

While registering paths (HBA / host) you have to give the Host name, IP address, failover mode, initiator type etc...

Hope How to manually register a host HBA with a CLARiiON array using Navisphere Manager and CLI 6.4?will help you in understanding the same.

4.5K Posts

September 24th, 2013 07:00

There are a number of documents available on the support.emc.com that will explain the basic requirements for connecting a host to an array. One way to register a host is by using the EMC Server Initialization Tool (EMC Server Utility), or by installing the EMC Host Agent. These two programs are shipped with each array and you install them on your host. They will then aid in registering a host that is connected to an array.

If the array is a Unified VNX, you can go to mydocs.emc.com and create a customer installation guide based on the host and the array (VNX) that you have.

glen

17 Posts

September 25th, 2013 00:00

Hi Vipin,

Tnx a lot for everything.

Only a thing now.

If a  certain port of one of the SAN controller fails,than the LUN who is seen through this port to a host,could be mapped to other port in controller,so it will be available to host after zoning.right?

give me an example of how an faulty port or an whole controller faulty is seen in storage log.

tnx a lot,

marius

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 25th, 2013 04:00

LUN is available through every port on storage processor A and B, it's just a matter of what port your host is zoned to.  That's why for redundancy reasons you zone HBA to multiple ports on storage processor so that port failure does not cause an outage (you also must run multipathing software PowerPath or native mpio)

I've seen instances where port on Clariion/VNX would go bad but it did not give any indications of that in Navisphere/Unisphere. You do see that all of sudden your hosts lost a path and that specific port is no longer logged-in to the switch.

1K Posts

September 25th, 2013 06:00

All paths are seen by that HBA port. Which paths will the IO go through? Depends on which SP owns that LUN.

The new VNX (5200, 5400, 5600, etc.) is the exception to that rule since traditional LUNs are now active/active and all paths can write to that LUN.

17 Posts

September 25th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

If one of the HBA port is zoned to many ports on storage processor A and B,then a certain lun through what path will be seen by an HBA port?

Maybe through the first path discovered by the hba port?

tnx a lot,

marius

17 Posts

September 26th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

You state  " Depends on which SP owns that LUN".

It means that which service processor owns that lun?But if I have zoned that lun using the 2 SP(one path from hba to an SP and the other path to the other SP),then what is the answer?

Is better to zone every HBA port to multiple ports in first SP and multiple port in 2nd SP?

tnx a lot,

marius 

1K Posts

September 26th, 2013 13:00

The answer is still which SP (storage processor) owns the LUN.

Keep in mind that you choose an SP when binding a LUN on the VNX 5300, 5500, etc. Yes, the single HBA will see an SP-A and an SP-B path but because the LUN is owned by SP-A all IO will be going through that path for that HBA. If the LUN trespasses the IO will be going through the other path, SP-B. If you have two HBAs and each HBA sees an SP-A and an SP-B path (best practice) then IO will be going through the SP-A path on both HBAs.

4.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 13:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!