Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2010 00:00

using admsnap on vsphere virtual machines to flush buffers?

We currently run a SQL server host on our vsphere server, which has a LUN connected via a raw device mapping.  We would like to snapshot this LUN, but as it is running SQL we need to flush the buffers using the 'admsnap -flush -o e' command, however this returns the error:-
Error looking up object "e".
Error:  0x3E160042 (The volume type is not supported on this operating system).

When i run the command 'admsnap list' i get the error:-
There were no devices found whose LUN WWN could be listed.

Is it possible to run the admsnap command from a host on an vsphere server to flush the buffers for a raw device mapping, or should something be installed onto the vsphere ESX server to to flush the LUN?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 9th, 2010 18:00

is this LUN in physical RDM mode ?

45 Posts

March 10th, 2010 00:00

It looks as though the RDM have been added as Virtual, is this my problem?

45 Posts

March 10th, 2010 05:00

dynamox, that was indeed the problem, we had the RDM's set as Virtual rather than Physical.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 10th, 2010 06:00

that's what i was suspecting. How did you remedy this, did you provision another RDM LUN in physical mode and migrate the data ?

45 Posts

March 10th, 2010 06:00

We're just testing at the moment, so i just gave it another RDM and connected it as a physical and it worked fine.  We currently need to understand the best way for us to clone/snapshot, will it be SAN level or use VMWare, not too sure yet?  But i now know the limitations of allocating RDM's as physical or virtual.

We're pretty new to this VMWare/EMC clone/snapshots so just trying to find our feet at the moment, and the training courses just give us a high level undestanding so expect a lot more questions on here! :-)

Thanks again!

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 11th, 2010 13:00

take a look at this paper, i think you will find it beneficial as it mentions nuances when working with VMs and Clariion layered application.

EMC Clariion Integration with VMware ESX Server

https://powerlink.emc.com/nsepn/webapps/btg548664833igtcuup4826/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/H1416-emc-clariion-intgtn-vmware-wp.pdf

No Events found!