Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2013 13:00

CTA within the same tier

Dears,

We are in a situation where we want archive data within the same SATA tier (lowest tier) on the same VMAX using the CTA, as the customer is only interested in applying policies on this data, noting that the initial binding is done on the SATA tier. and we have one VG2 in the setup for the file part.

so would that work (archiving within the same tier)?

Thanks in advance for the support!

Ali

16 Posts

December 17th, 2013 09:00

Dear Karl,

Yes that is my question, noting that the data I want to archive already sits on the SATA tier, and I want to archive on the same SATA tier based on the CTA policies.

Thanks

Ali

1.2K Posts

December 17th, 2013 09:00

To make sure I understand, I will rephrase your question.  You have a VMAX with SATA disk and a VG2 NAS gateway attached to it.  Your customer wishes to use CTA to archive data to SATA.  CTA can migrate files from one filesystem to another filesystem on the same NAS, independent of the disk tier - is this what you're asking?

Karl

1.2K Posts

December 18th, 2013 12:00

The answer is yes - the CTA only moves files between filesystems - it does not care about the tier behind them.  If your source filesystem was bound on the SATA tier, you could even migrate to a filesystem bound to the FC tier, it does not matter.  For all practical purposes, CTA does not "care' about tiers, it cares about what destination (filesystem) you specify.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

16 Posts

December 18th, 2013 12:00

Dear Karl, thanks a lot!!we Will try it on ground and let you know.

Thanks again for your support

No Events found!