Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2011 19:00

Can I map/mask celerra devices on backend Symm to different FA online ?

Hello all.

We got 2 brand new FAs on the symm?

We have celerra devices that are on an existing  very busy FA on the symm.

Is it feasable to add these devices to the brand new FA and get datamover to pick them up online without unmounting the filesystem

that is built on these devices.? If it is possible will the datamover make use of the new FA and balance the load?.

91 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 06:00

Hi,

Yes, You can always map the existing devices to another FA port online.. So that you can access the same device from two different paths..

But if want to remove it from 1 st FA port and map it to another then your host wont be able to see the device through first path. So its disruptive.. and cannot be done online.

Jithin N

23 Posts

August 20th, 2014 10:00

My question is similar to this one which has just been answered.

In theory I should be able to to do this non-disruptively as long as there is more than one FA which sees the devices. In our case we currently have (8) FAs in our Celerra VG8 Masking view. I'd like to replace (3) of these paths with (3) new FAs. So basically I should be able to do the following:

1) zone the (3) new FAs in same fashion as the old ones

2) Edit existing IG removing (3) old FAs and add (3) new FAs

Do we need to rescan the buses?

So again in theory this should suffice, however finicky as the Celerra may be, how would it behave losing (3) paths and gaining (3) new ones , while still having the original untouched (5) paths of (8).

8.6K Posts

August 21st, 2014 02:00

You should work with your local customer service team on this – AFAIK the SCSI chains the data mover uses are not dynamic and probably need manual cleanup

23 Posts

August 21st, 2014 05:00

Rainer thanks for the reply. I also received a reply from EMC support which tells us of the feasibility and possibility of their engagement f required.

Thanks,

Pete

No Events found!