Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 26th, 2014 08:00

Can I share the same CIFS share on 2 Datamovers at the same time?

We're adding a new subnet, can we share the same FS via CIFS on the 2nd Datamover (currently not active) at the same time it's shared by the currently active  Datamover?  We would like to avoid having the CIFS network traffic go through our firewall router.  As well as use the CPU & memory of the 2nd, currently inactive Datamover.

TIA.

--

Dave

41 Posts

Thanks for the quick response.

That's what I thought, just wanted to check before I went down that road.

1K Posts

Yes you can. You would make the CIFS share available to both CIFS servers.

1K Posts

February 26th, 2014 09:00

Rainer,

Wouldn't you be able to select the CIFS server to have access to the share? What would prevent you from accessing the CIFS share from multiple CIFS servers?

8.6K Posts

February 26th, 2014 09:00

Hi,

not sure if I understand what you are asking.

Here are the rules:

- One file system can only be mounted on one data mover at a time

so two CIFS servers on two different data movers cannot share data on the same fs

two CIFS servers on the same data mover could

- A data mover is either standby or primary.

if its standby it is not serving data

if its primary it will not act as a standby

- Of course a CIFS server can have multiple interfaces

Assuming of course it’s a VNX or Celerra – VNXe is slightly different

41 Posts

February 26th, 2014 11:00

Celerra NS-120, is what I'm talking about.

So, I can do what I want, just need to use the same, primary, Datamover.  I can use another interface, 10GbE in our case, & connect to the new subnet.   Do I then *need* to configure a 2nd CIFS server on the Datamover, or is it a good practice?

Does the Datamover *not* route by default?  Security issue, don't want to bypass the firewall.

Thanks for the advice.

--

Dave

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 26th, 2014 11:00

in OP question if CIFS servers are on different physical datamovers you definitely can't do that. But if both CIFS servers reside inside of the same VDM then i think you should be able to do that.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 26th, 2014 12:00

i am confused, so you have one CIFS server that is configured with one IP address using 1g interface and now you want to configure another CIFS server that has access to the same file system but it has an IP address using 10g interface ?

41 Posts

February 26th, 2014 13:00

Currently the active Datamover has an IP using one 10GbE interface;  I want to share the same CIFS share (filesystem) on a different subnet using a different IP address.  So, I will use the *other* 10GbE interface on the Datamover; it  has two.

8.6K Posts

February 26th, 2014 13:00

No you dont need a second CIFS server just to make the same CIFS share available on another interface.

Using another CIFS server has it pro’s and con’s – I suggest you try that in a lab setup.

No – the data mover doesn’t route.

Most customer though still don’t feel comfortable to put a multi-homed systems into a DMZ.

You should at least put in suitable firewall rules and discuss with your security people.

8.6K Posts

February 26th, 2014 14:00

if there are no different security or access / visibiltiy requirements there then you you have to add the additional interface to the CIFS server and you’re done

41 Posts

February 26th, 2014 14:00

Thanks, that's very helpful ... we're connecting the DM to two "internal" subnets, not ones with public access (public webservers, etc.), so it ought to be OK.  But we will take a close look at the security, thanks.

No Events found!