Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2012 03:00

Checkpoint deletion

I originally set up some checkpoints. It was then decided that they where not required as this is a DR unit.  I stopped and removed the schedules but I have noticed that the checkpoints are still there and I have now run out of drive space for the replications and one of them is now failing to complete.  Thanks in advance.  Nigel

296 Posts

April 12th, 2012 03:00

hi,

Deleting Ckpt schedules will not delete the ckpts for the file system. you need to delete them manually if you would like to remove them.

any errors reported from server_log for the failed replication session   

Sameer Kulkarni

7 Posts

April 12th, 2012 04:00

The only alert I'm getting is "Automatic extesion of the file system failed because it has no space to extend."

Event code : 0x13601b006c

Could you point me in the direction of some instructions on how to manually remove the unwanted checkpoints please.

Thanks

Nigel

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 12th, 2012 04:00

nas_fs -delete -o umount=yes

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 12th, 2012 05:00

yes, from putty you can list all checkpoints currently mounted on server_2

server_mount server_2 | grep ckpt

7 Posts

April 12th, 2012 05:00

I assume this is from a putty session.

Do I just use that command at the from the interface when i login?

The thing is, I can't see the checkpoints in the GUI on the Replicas/Checkpoints page. I only know they're there when I look at the properties of the storage pools.

Nigel

674 Posts

April 12th, 2012 06:00

if deleting a checkpoint requires root command, whats the name of the checkpoint?

Sure if this is not an IP replication checkpoint? If yes, is the replication session still running? ...

Then you would have to stop and delete it and the root_repl checkpoints are gone.

7 Posts

Almost there!

I login as nasadmin - can list the checkpoints. Attempt to run the delete command  - requires root command.

Type "su" to change to super user, re-run command - requires root command

open new session, login as root, re-run command - command not found

?????

Nigel

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i am assuming you are not trying to delete replication checkpoints but regular checkpoints to free up space (which will be available to replication checkpoints)

7 Posts

April 12th, 2012 07:00

In a word, yes.

Some of the replications have ceased working as the unit has run out of disk space. I have found that the checkpoints I originally set up, but decided were not required, are holding disk dspace that I now need. I therefore want to remove all checkpoints in one go to free up all available space for future needs.

Nigel

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

what are you trying to fix here ? Are you trying fix replication because it's does not have enough space ?

7 Posts

The file system is a replication from another unit, and this checkpoint is of this replication.

So, first stop the replication from the source side or do I delete the replication? And will that also remove the checkpoint as it gives me the option to delete both source and destination? Or will I have to manually delete the checkpoint myself?

Nigel

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 12th, 2012 08:00

ok, so we need to delete regular checkpoints. If you run server_mount server_2 | grep ckpt, it will list all checkpoints, based on your naming convention you should be able to identify which checkpoints are regular and which ones are one for replication (there will be two replication checkpoints for each file system)

7 Posts

April 12th, 2012 08:00

I wish to remove all unnecessary checkpoints from the system but the list does not corespond to any of our file system names.

e.g. root_rep_ckpt_110_86471_1 on /root_rep_ckpt_110_86471_1 ckpt,perm,ro,accesspolicy=NATIVE,nolock

------"-------"-----"-------------_2 -------"-----"---------"-----"---------_2 -----"-------"-------"----

and others without the accesspolicy.

Am I not ok to delete all of these?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 12th, 2012 09:00

those look like replication checkpoints, don't touch those.

fs_ckpt -list

this will list all checkpoints, excluding the two being used for replication

78 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 14:00

I had a similar issue. I stopped and deleted replication sessions and made sure its gone from both source and target but the root replication ckpt still exists on both source and target. I tried to delete them manually over CLI as root and it says 'NAS_DB environment not defined'

sudo nas_fs -delete root_rep_ckpt_99_1064545_2 -o umount=yes

NAS_DB environment not defined

Currently NAS_DB is set to /nas

No Events found!