Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 20th, 2009 11:00

How to Migrate CIFS Servers from Celerra to Celerra

I have to migrate a production CIFS Win2k3 server and its shares from an NS700G Dart 5.5 to an NS120 Dart 5.6. Any idea how I can do this? Downtime can be scheduled.

I know its possible do a CIFS server (physical) migration to DM using lgdup,sharedup and emcopy/robocopy. But how can I migrate CIFS from a Celerra DM to another Celerra DM? Confuising. Any Ideas?

8.6K Posts

October 20th, 2009 12:00

you can use lgdup,sharedup and emcopy/robocopy just as well between Celerra CIFS servers the same way as between Windows and Celerra (or Windows and Windows for that matter)

If you have more to migrate - the easiest way would be to upgrade the NS700G to DART 5.6 and then use Celerra Replicator
move the CIFS server to a VDM, replicate the VDM and the data file system(s) and just failover to the NS-120, delete the replication, done
only two small downtimes

39 Posts

October 20th, 2009 14:00

Yes, unfortunately this is where having systems at 2 different DART code family levels is a huge pain in the neck. If there is any way possible, update the DART code to 5.6, set up replication and do a failover to the new unit. However, the source and target CIFS servers need to be mounted on replicating VDM's too, I don't think that you can replicate the CIFS data otherwise (90% sure, check the documentation to be certain).

If you can't do the replication method, you're going to end up having to disjoin your CIFS server from the domain on the source side, and join the new CIFS server (renamed to match the old server) on the new unit.

You might also be able to get away with setting up an A record DNS entry with the old CIFS server name that points to the new CIFS server, but again, you'll need to disjoin the old CIFS server and rename it before you do that....

HTH
--brerrabbit

8.6K Posts

October 21st, 2009 00:00

However, the source and target CIFS servers need to be mounted on replicating
VDM's too, I don't think that you can replicate the CIFS data otherwise (90% sure, check the
documentation to be certain).

correct - in order to replicate the CIFS server config itself it needs to be on a VDM
its not a big deal however to move a CIFS server from physical DM to a VDM

even if you dont want to do that you could still use Replicator to transfer the data file system and use lgdup,sharedup to copy the config to a new CIFS server

the big advantage of Replicator (or nas_copy) is that it works block-based - it transfers the whole file system including ACLs
so you dont have to worry about open files, unknown SIDs and dont have to wade through emcopy/robocopy/... logs to make sure everything transferred

of course since Replicator works on the whole fs if you need to copy/move only a part of it or if the destination fs is smaller you cant use it and have to use file-based methods

1 Message

October 29th, 2010 07:00

Would replicator lic have to be purchased for both Celerras?

October 29th, 2010 10:00

If you're making a new purchase of a Celerra, your EMC sales partner can leverage a one-time Replicator license, to enable Replicator to move your existing shares onto your new hardware.  This was extremely economical for us - so much, in fact, that we bought another Celerra and a full Replicator license for it.

If the system is already paid for or has been in use for some time, they can probably still sell you a one-time Replicator license (for each Celerra) to migrate from the old Celerra onto another, but it may not be nearly as cheap.  Either way, leverage your sales team - you'll see posts from other customers that have done the same.  In any case, I don't believe you can run any of the Replicator v2 features on the Celerra without a license.

10 Posts

March 21st, 2012 08:00

NAS 6.0.51-6 is on both and we have the replicator license.  Being this is my firts time wha I'm not clear on is I can getthe data there but do I need to remake the shared on each volume and will the ACLs carry.  I noticed I needed to add the new to the AD domain.

No Events found!