Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 19th, 2014 06:00

Issues in our Celerra NX-4

Hi All,

We have EMC Celerra NX-4 Storage. Backend Clariion AX4-5F8. This box installed 4 years ago and currently we don't have support contract with EMC. Now, we are facing the below said issues,

1. Control Station Not booting. It stucks in Boot loader prompt. (Ref: Boot Prompt.jpg)

2.  I aware AX4-5F8 Clariion model have 5 vault drives configured in RAID-5.

Totally we have six 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM hard disks and 3 drives(1-3) were failed status. What should i do to bring up the storage processors SP-A and SP-B?  (Ref: Failed Drives.jpg)

3. One of the Green LED continuously Flashing in rear side of SP-B. But, no issues in stand by power supply unit. (Ref: SP-B LED Status.jpg)

We used this storage only for NFS shares.

Please suggest me.

3 Attachments

1.2K Posts

January 19th, 2014 23:00

Hello, welcome to EMC Community Network.

I noticed that currently this post is in your own discussion space rather than any public discussion forum. Posts in user's own discussion spaces can hardly be seen or answered by other community members.

Therefore, please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility. Questions posted in users' own discussion space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by clicking "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then type in the keyword "Celerra Support Forum" in the pop-up box, click "Celerra Support Forum" in the search result to move your post to it.

Thanks,
Jason

91 Posts

February 7th, 2014 06:00

Is this box in production? is there any hostspare kicked in for the failed drives?

Jithin

February 8th, 2014 05:00

currently not in production.

total drive count: 6 , at present 3 drives were failed.

February 11th, 2014 00:00

On the control station it seams that you have an internal failed drive or something has corrupted the linux boot process on the internal drive. This however would have nothing to do with the AX4-5 and the failed drives because the control station boots off of it's internal drive. With the AX4-5 there are 5 system drives however they consist of a mix configuration of RAID. The boot config for SPA is mirrored on two disks with SPB mirrored on two other disks. That would seem to be the reason why SPA is able to boot off of it's one good image while SPB seems to be located on two failed disks. This still would be a double fault for the vault and therefore if the array will run I would believe that it would have write cache disabled (especially if SPB is offline then write cache would be disabled as well)

You can try to pull each of the failed drives and reseat them to see if the system will spin them back up. Not sure in what state all of these drives became this way.

However, the data movers for the NX should be able to run off of the one SP. This would be temorarily fine however you will be unable to administrate the NAS portion as that requires a fully functional control station which seems to be another issue with this array. Either way the array seems to be very unhealthy.

February 12th, 2014 04:00

Hi Patric,

We are not sure about data availability. Is there a way to reinstall fresh FLARE after installing new hard drives?

February 20th, 2014 07:00

EMC will need to assist in trying to recover Flare or if there is no data on the box at this time then an EMC rep can assist in re-imaging/reinitializing the box.

No Events found!