Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2010 08:00

Move CIFS shares to another cabinet

I have an NS120 with FC drives now using sw version 5.6. I plan to add another tray with SATA drives in advance of a VMWare implementation. What I would like to do is relocate a number of the file systems with CIFS from the FC drives to the SATA drives.  I want to maintain the CIFS share names so I do not have any disruption to the users and if possible, maintain the file systems naming as is.

I have seen a number of posts on this and it looks like I could do it with either nas_copy or the replication manager. However, I have yet to find a step-by-step guide on how to do this. I am not comfortable with the CLI and would like to do it from the GUI if possible.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

16 Posts

July 9th, 2010 08:00

Is the 'actual' size the dedup'd size or the full data size?

8.6K Posts

virtual provisioning is merely auto-extension plus telling the client the max size instead of the actual size

you need to look at the current actually size

since nas_copy or Replicator works block-based the destination has to be at least the same current actual size

I havent tried it - but it should be possible to change the dst fs to virtual provisioning or creating it manually before the nas_copy

worst case you would have to temp. change the max size for the src to the current size

(I'm not sure if nas_copy looks at the current size - I believe it should but dont have time to test right now)

Rainer

16 Posts

Just tried it...destination has to be the same size  :-(

On to robocopy it looks like

8.6K Posts

you could use ndmpcopy if you dare :-)

8.6K Posts

GlennMonogram schrieb:

Just tried it...destination has to be the same size  :-(

since you are saying you use virtual provisioning the question is which size - actual or max size ?

301 Posts

I have looked at this and come to the same conclusion. We will be attempting to move data to a smaller fs this weekend using emcopy, and I will let you know how we got on.

16 Posts

OK I did a test this morning after the new DAE got installed and the main problem I see is that if the source file system is marked with virtual provisioning, the new file system that is created durign the one time copy is not set to virtual provision.

Is this a bug or by design?

A few of my file systems are bigger than they need to be and I was hoping to not use more than necessary when I moved the file system to the new DAE.  It seems I will need to manually create the file system and use xcopy or robocopy to move the files to'shrink' the file systems.

Any input?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

GlennMonogram schrieb:

Is the 'actual' size the dedup'd size or the full data size?

since nas_copy works block based dedupe doesnt matter there - the destination will have the exact same dedupe as the src

actual size is usual the smallest number - the one thats listed in the GUI fs properties as "Storage Capacity (MB)"

8.6K Posts

July 9th, 2010 09:00

GlennMonogram schrieb:

actual was 150mb (deduped)

that would be used capacity and not the size of the file system :-)

16 Posts

July 9th, 2010 09:00

I tried with actual size. max was 300gb, actual was 150mb (deduped)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 9th, 2010 10:00

Rainer,

what is the path to ndmpcopy ?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

July 9th, 2010 11:00

unfortunately there is no Celerra ndmpcopy command - you would have to use 3rd party or open source like ndmp.org

note that in 5.6 it isn't explicitly supported but it should work

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 12th, 2010 17:00

Rainer,

what use cases would benefit from ndmpcopy versus server_archive ? If i read ndmpcopy description correctly it can use NDMP stream to copy data from one filer/datamover to another without invloving a "proxy" server.  Could one use ndmpcopy utility to migrate data between two different Celerras (if one does not have replicator license).

Thanks

8.6K Posts

July 12th, 2010 22:00

yes - between Celerra's which server_archive can't do

unlike Replicator or nas_copy the dst fs can be smaller than the src fs

unlike client copy it preserves the multi-protocol attributes and there is no access problems

Rainer

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2010 04:00

thanks, i assume it can be used to go from one vendor NAS to another as long as they support NDMP protocol ?

No Events found!