Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2008 09:00

Nas20 - RaidGroup 0 - Terrible mistake

hi,

during some configuration of the nas, i think to make a terrible mistake.

my configuration was: 10+1 disks non fc

I had extended the RG0 with the other 6 disk tha was unbound. Now all the RG0 was filled of this disks, can i return to the initial configuration ??

thanks for all

1.5K Posts

Hi,

First of all Welcome to EMC Support Forums.

I'll suggest to get in touch with EMC NAS support team asap. They can analyze and suggest you accordingly.

However, we can also try here to help you out. But I fear that, the answer to your question will be NO. The RAID group can not be converted back to original configuration without destroying the data. I hope you have a good backup of the NAS data available.

What is the NAS model - I guess this is a gateway one. What code is running on NAS and backend CLARiiON? You mentioned initially the RAID Group was 10+1 disks non-fc - does that mean, it is ATA drives? I doubt whether there is any supported 10+1 RAID group configuration for ATA drives are available on NAS.

Nevertheless, best bet to open a case with EMC support now.

Willing to hear from you more,
Sandip

Hi Sandip, I'm going to answer as I know Mirko's hardware.

They got a brand new NS22 IP-only (w/o FC ports) with 11 x 300GB / 10.000 rpm FC disks. I know, trust me, it's not ATA what they have.

The machine is brand new and they are just trying to set it up so there's no data on it and they can start from scratch.

Anyway mirko can tell you about Dart and Flare versions.

Regards,

1.5K Posts

Thanks for the details Andrea. I am sure the disks are FC Disks not ATA as the Flare software on the backend CLARiiON resides on the initial 5 disks which has to be FC disks.

From your details, it is also confirmed that it is integrated (IP only no SAN connection) model.

To install the NAS Software (DART) code, it requires a RAID 5 Groups of 5 disks (4+1 RAID 5). By default, the system uses initial 5 disks to create this RAID 5 group - which is RAID group 0. The Host spare will be created on the sixth disk.

It leaves, 5 more unused disks in the array and they can be configured in another 4+1 RAID 5 group.

Once the NAS software is installed, this backend configuration can be done either using CLI or from Celerra Manager GUI. -

In CLI - Run setup_clariion - init command -

In GUI

Select Celerras > [Celerra_name] > Storage > Systems.
The Storage: Storage Systems page appears with a list of the storage systems available to the Celerra Network Server.

In the Storage System column, select a CLARiiON storage system name.
The Storage: System tab appears.

Click Configure.
The Storage: Configure Disk Devices page appears.

Select the template you want to use to configure the disks. If needed, contact EMC or your service provider for help with template selection.
Click OK.

There will be two LUNs created and the total space will be added to the clar_r5_performance system defined pool. So, you will see that the space available in this pool has increased once you configure the additional disks.

You may refer to the Celerra Manager Online Help page for more details and help.

Now - it seems to me that, by mistake they have expanded the RAID group 0 on the remaining disks which is not a supported configuration. At this time, I suspect only option is to destroy the LUNs and RAID groups on the backend CLARiiON and re-install the NAS code.

Is there any EMC person (EMC Customer Engineer or anyone) helping with this install - if not please contact either EMC CE or NAS Support for more help and guidance.

Hope this helps,
Sandip

July 14th, 2008 10:00

hi sandip,

thank you andrea for the information.

i know that this procedure that permit to re-install the nas code, was not permitted to the costumer, but i can assist the support to make the correct operation.

is so difficult to make this ?

thank you, for the answer

1.5K Posts

You are right Andrea. The NS20 is now also available on SATA only configuration. I was stcuk to my old minds of using FC disks only for Flare and DART :(

hi,

another question about my question.

if i want to leave the configuration as is, what type of problem i can encounter?
is wrong to leave this partitioning ??

Hi Sandip, hopefully someone will help Mirko!

May I submit to your attention that NS20 runs ontop to a CX3-10 backend?

Maybe you are not aware that CX3-10 is also available in ALL-SATA configurations, so it could REALLY be that someone in the future will tell you abount an integrated NS20 made of SATA-only disks.

BTW this is not Mirko's case - I just wanted to let you know about SATA & CX3.

Rgds,
Andrea
No Events found!