Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2010 11:00

Nested File System - Pros and Cons - Going Beyond 16TB

So here's the issue:  Our share is currently as 15 TB and reaching MAX size for a Celerra File System.  I'm the lucky one that will migrate/replicate this data over to our CX4-960 that is now connected to the same NAS Gateway.  Can I create X amount of File Systems such as:

Images1

Images2

Images3

Images4

Each @ 10 TB

Add then together to form a 40 TB File System?

Add the end of the day I only want to access two shares.  Will this setup stripe my data across all file systems?  Or am I interpreting Nested File Systems incorrectly.

I'm picturing Nested File Systems as Meta-LUNs.

Thanks for all the support,

Damian

8.6K Posts

August 20th, 2010 12:00

no it won't stripe

a nested mount fs is a number of fs mounted und one mount point to that each fs looks like a subdir but you access it through one share

just look at the manual and try it with some small fs

or look at FMA

8.6K Posts

Hi dynamox

FMA is currently just archiving (the virtualization / migration / namespace was GFV/FVA/FNA which I think are no longer actively sold)

40 Posts

Forgive me for asking FMA?

8.6K Posts

EMC (Rainfinity) File Management Appliance

you could use it to move large files that weren't used in the last xx days to another Celerra file system (or Centera or Data Domain or Atmos cloud storage or ...) replacing them with a 8kB stub that looks and works transparently to the client just like before.

In effect keeping your existing fs and share at 15TB but enabling you to make much much more capacity available.

kinda like an HSM system

take a look at the white papers on Powerlink and talk to your local sales team.

Rainer

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

alias23122 != dynamox

Rainer_EMC wrote:

Hi dynamox

FMA is currently just archiving (the virtualization / migration / namespace was GFV/FVA/FNA which I think are no longer actively sold)

99 Posts

NMFS

An NMFS allows you to manage a collection of file systems — Component file

systems as a single file system. CIFS and NFS clients see component file systems

as a single share or single export.

File system capacity is managed independently for each component file system.

This means that you can increase the total capacity of the NMFS by extending an

existing component file system or by adding new component file systems.

The number of NMFS or component file systems is limited only to the number of file

systems allowed on a Data Mover. Hard links (NFS), renames, and simple moves

are not possible from one component file system to another.

Please refer to the attached document.

- Sebby Robles.

1 Attachment

139 Posts

Rainfinity FMA. It sits between the end users and the Celerra, and virtualizes the namespace. One of its features is what you described, nested file systems. Others are replication, migration, facilitating archiving, etc.

8.6K Posts

whether you can use NMFS really depends on your application and the structure of you data

it would have to be able to use multiple subdir's where each subdir is max 16TB

and also be clever enough to distribute the data across them

8.6K Posts

August 20th, 2010 13:00

sorry

alias23122 != dynamox

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 20th, 2010 20:00

what are your plans in terms of backups ?  Those are pretty big file systems.

40 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 20:00

I hate to ask again but will this allow the application to see one UNC path.  Hence, I will be able to replicate my old 15TB system to a new NMFS system that is 40TB (4 File Systems @ 10 TB each).

Can I add additional File Systems or start with numerous smaller file systems?

Thanks,

Damian

40 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 20:00

Checkpoints and Replication.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2010 22:00

you can share root for NMFS so users can connect to:

NMFSRoot

-----filesystem1

-----filesystem2

-----filesystem3

-----filesystem4

how are you going replicate ? Celerra Replicator ? That will not work, file systems have to be the same size.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 07:00

you want to copy local file system (15TB) to another local file system (10TB) ?  You can user server_archive command to "copy" data from one file system to another if they are different in size. Target file system should have enough capacity though. I don't see why you would not be able to mount an existing file system under NMFS. Component file systems are still independent components, they can be increased is size separately for example.

40 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 07:00

Once I migrate/replicate all data from the current 15TB File System.  I will then replicate to an exact size NMFS.  However, I would like to replicate the current file system (locally) rather than "copying" the file system.  Can we replicate (local replication) the current file system and then add it as a component of the NMFS?

No Events found!