Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2010 07:00

Network Upgrade and Celerra

I'm upgrading my datacenter core network switches on Saturday and due to space constraints I'll be taking down the entire network (i.e., can't fit the new gear without taking the old stuff out first).  As far as the Celerra is concerned, how is it going to react?  Is it going to attempt a failover to my standby mover (I have an NS42G) even though the standby mover has no network connectivity?  Should I do some sort of shutdown first?  I'm using snapshots and replicator V2 and don't want to lose the snaps or have to resync the data...I don't think I will, but I want to make sure.

Dan

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 29th, 2010 07:00

Nothing will happen to Celerra ..failover does not get initiated because network is not available. Snapshots will be intact as well.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 29th, 2010 08:00

There is a section in “Using Celerra Replicator (V2) “ that explains “managing expected outages”

1.5K Posts

April 29th, 2010 08:00

"dynamox" has the answer spot on .

There will be no data mover failover triggered due to loss of network connectivity.

For replication, if the outage period is not too long it is ok - but if the outage is going to be many hours, you may consider suspending the replication sessions.

Also, ensure that you have sufficient space available in the pool for savvol, if you are keeping the sessions open.

However, when you have the entire network down, I don't think there will be any users accessing the Celerra or writing to it - i.e. not much changes - so it will not be a concern.

My 2 cents

Sandip

8.6K Posts

April 30th, 2010 04:00

Take a look at the Replicator manual

It has a section with suggestions on what to do for a planned outage

Rainer

190 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 07:00

Just to follow up, everything went off without a hitch - I opted the leave the system as-is during the cutover as no one had access so replication data getting backed up was not an issue. 

Thanks for all the input

Dan

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2010 08:00

Nice to hear that Dan - appreciate the update. Have a wonderful week ahead,

Sandip

No Events found!