Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2009 15:00

Performance of a NS-G2 with Clariion AX4/CX3 Model 10

Hi,

We need to buy a file server for a basic file serving use case - storing user home directories.  One of the shortlisted candidates is a Celerra NS-G2 gateway along with a Clariion AX4 or CX3 Model 10 with 7.2K RPM SATA drives.  I was wondering if there's anyone in this forum who has used that combination before and would not mind sharing the experience.

Btw, from a post in the Clariion section, I found that the AX4 can be dead slow on writes if it's configured with only one service processor.

Best.

8.6K Posts

any particular reason you would buy a gateway and a Clariion seperately ?

these days its a lot more economic to buy a (Fibre Channel enabled) Celerra instead - and it can do almost everything a gateway+Clariion does

a NX4 includes a AX4

a NS-120 includes a CX4-120

a NS20 did include a CX3-10f but I think its not sold any longer

anyway - all of these boxes include two Clariion Storage Processors

both are fine for hundreds to thousands of users

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

AX4/5 can be purchased with one SP, but when you get NX you must get the two SP version ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i have a ns20 fibre enabled unit with CX3-10 backend.  We have thousands of customers using it for CIFS/NFS/iSCSI, so far so good, performance has been adequate with 750G/1T SATA drives.

8.6K Posts

AX4 is the only Clariion that can be bought with just one SP

if its built into a NX4 its always the two SP version - the choices you have is if you want a second data mover and a second UPS

8.6K Posts

DWithers schrieb:

Btw, from a post in the Clariion section, I found that the AX4 can be dead slow on writes if it's configured with only one service processor.

not sure what they meant - we usually dont sell with just one SP

certainly for use with a Celerra you do need two SP's

they might refer to that if one SP failed the write cache got disabled

that is no longer the case for the CX4 line of products

14 Posts

November 17th, 2009 16:00

Thanks all for the useful replies.  I have some specific questions based on them

to dynamox:  Is your NS20 a single blade or dual blade.  Also, how many drives do you have on the Clariion backend.

My requirement is fairly simple.  We have 50 users (might grow to 100 in about a year), who would be using the system as a home share.  So, I would expect a streaming performance of 100 - 150 M/sec for 10 - 15 concurrent users at any given point of time.  We plan to get 16 SATA drives in the enclosure. Given the SATA disk transfer rate of ~80M/sec and SP to/from buffer at 300M/sec, I think that should be acieveable.  Sounds reasonable ?  And oh btw, to save cost, we are getting only a single blade NS-G2.  Apart from not getting HA, would I miss out on anything else.

To answer the question on why a Gateway - again to save cost   Intend to repurpose some old Clariions.

Best.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 17th, 2009 18:00

My NS20 is a dual bladed system as we had to have the HA (active/passive). I currently have 4 DAEs, one was populated with 750G drives and the rest are 1T, so 60 drives at the moment (15 drives per DAE).  We have a couple of hundred users concurrently doing your typical file server stuff ..i see an average 20MB/s throughput. What will your users do that they need 150MB/s ? SATA drives are rated pretty good for big block sequential access (16MB/s) for 7.2k rpm and the way Celerra volume manager stripes across multiple raid group when it creates the file system ..you should have very dissent performance even with one DAE.

8.6K Posts

November 18th, 2009 09:00

DWithers wrote:

To answer the question on why a Gateway - again to save cost   Intend to repurpose some old Clariions.

Best.

make sure you get a quote for a NX4 as well - might work out less expensive than a NS-G2

also ask your technical contact to check if your Clariion's are supported by the NS-G2 - there used to be a limitation with AX4

Rainer

No Events found!