Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2016 12:00

Questions regarding CAVA install on VNX5400

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the installation and configuration for CAVA.

1. One of the first steps in the CEE for Windows document is to create a local group on each DM. It says to go to ADUC > EMC Celerra > Computers. We tried to follow this step, and while we found EMC Celerra, we are missing the Computers folder. Are we supposed to manually add this? I see nothing about it in the documentation.
  2. When setting up the viruschecker.conf file on the NAS, there is an option named CIFSserver=, which allows you to specify which interface to be used by the CAVA client. We already have a couple of CIFS servers built on physical data movers. Should we use those, or should we create dedicated interfaces/CIFS for CAVA? I dont want to slow down a production CIFS because its sharing its link with CAVA traffic.
  3. Currently, we are in the middle of migrating shares from an existing Windows server onto the the NAS. We want to configure and enable CAVA for existing NAS shares, but we dont want to scan files that we are migrating. I see on the file system mount options that we can disable the virus checking protocol? Can we just disable the protocol for any FS's we do not wish to scan at this point, and enable for the ones that we do?

If anyone could shed some light on these three questions, I would really appreciated it.

Thanks,

Tanner

1.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2016 06:00

tannerr wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the installation and configuration for CAVA.

1. One of the first steps in the CEE for Windows document is to create a local group on each DM. It says to go to ADUC > EMC Celerra > Computers. We tried to follow this step, and while we found EMC Celerra, we are missing the Computers folder. Are we supposed to manually add this? I see nothing about it in the documentation.

The documentation is a little confusing here.  What you want to do is add a Local Group on your VNX.  The documentation describes "the long way" of getting to the CIFS server you want to manage.  Put simply, you just want to use the standard Computer Management MMC, right-click to select "Connect to another computer..." and connect to the CIFS server you wish to use for viruschecking.  Jump to answer #2 for more details, the come back to this.  You can connect to the CIFS server you want to use for virusscanning and create a Local Group as stated in the documentation.  Most of the time, I'll make a local group named "Local AV" or "AVUser".  Inside this group, you will add the Domain User you've set up for AV scanning.  Again, something like "CAVAUser" or "AVUser" will suffice.  It is this Domain User account that you will assign Virus Checking rights to, as stated in the guide. 

2. When setting up the viruschecker.conf file on the NAS, there is an option named CIFSserver=, which allows you to specify which interface to be used by the CAVA client. We already have a couple of CIFS servers built on physical data movers. Should we use those, or should we create dedicated interfaces/CIFS for CAVA? I dont want to slow down a production CIFS because its sharing its link with CAVA traffic.

As stated in the documentation, you must create a CIFS server on the physical DM to use for CAVA.  You can use an existing CIFS server, if you wish, but all CAVA traffic on this DM will use the network interface of this CIFS server.  It is recommended to create a dedicated CIFS server for this purpose, unless you know of a CIFS server that is very, very lightly used.  Most of the time, I'll just make a CIFS server called "CAVASERVER", "CAVASRVR" or "AVSRVR", assign it a logical interface and IP, then be done with it.  The hostname of this CIFS server is what you will use in the viruschecker.conf file in the "CIFSserver=" line.  This line tells the CAVA service which CIFS server and IP to use to talk to your Windows-based CAVA servers - the ones that will do the AV scanning for you.

3. Currently, we are in the middle of migrating shares from an existing Windows server onto the the NAS. We want to configure and enable CAVA for existing NAS shares, but we dont want to scan files that we are migrating. I see on the file system mount options that we can disable the virus checking protocol? Can we just disable the protocol for any FS's we do not wish to scan at this point, and enable for the ones that we do?

That is the easiest option.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

15 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 11:00

Thank you Karl, this is very informative! I think you've answered all of the questions I have right now.

Thanks again!

No Events found!