Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 23:00

Restoring NDMP to DR Celerra

Hello,

We are planning to develop DR plan on recovering subset of CIFS servers of our production  Celerra. We are performing NDMP backups of user filesystems, but beside that what other info we need to plan to backup i.e. made it availiable at the DR site.

I assume we need to have a dump of the usermapper database, and restore that first, but how we restore tree quotas and user quotas?

Is ther easy way to dump and restore that configuration?

What about the shares themselves? Do we need to manually recreate them, or we can save/dump some config info on the production. One option is to script share creation and document that, but I am wondering if there is better way.

I'll appriciate any help.

Sasko

674 Posts

December 9th, 2009 00:00

I would recommend using IP-Replication maybe just for the rootfs of the vdm.

It is just a few 100 MB, but it will replicate the share information and the secmap.

Or you can use utilities like sharedup (which is on the Tools and Application CD), it is a utility, which will copy the share information from one cifs server to another or put it into a file (on the source) and read it from the file on the destination box..

If you restore a whole FS, the treequota information should be restored, If you restore only part of a FS, you need to recreate it before restoring.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 08:00

IP replication is not doable at least at this stage. We have all DR images, including NDMP, on tape.

When you say restore the whole FS, do you particualrly think of .etc folder in addition to all data folders?

I did not know know that we can restore .etc as well.

Regarding the rootfs of the vdm, can we backup that with ndmp?

In our case the VDM we wont to restore at the DR site is mounted at:

root_fs_vdm_fsusers_vdm on /root_vdm_1/.etc uxfs,perm,rw

Does that mean we can just backup .etc of the root_vdm_1 with NDMP , and then restored at the DR site?

Sasko

139 Posts

December 9th, 2009 09:00

.etc is part of the filesystem, so it will get restored also. But, the .etc is created when the filesystem is created, so I am not sure if it even needs to be restored.

Ahmed Jalal

(713) 219-6742

ahmed.jalal@gcserv.com

• 

284 Posts

December 9th, 2009 10:00

As long as your CIFS servers are on a VDM, make sure you're backing up the VDM filesystems so that they can be restored at the destination.  That will get all of your CIFS server information and your secmap data.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 11:00

I am not clear now.

Say on the DR site we have simira Celerra and same DART version.

It seems that I don't have to create VDMs overe there.

What I am not clear is how I am going to do NDMP restore of rootfs of the VDM if that filesystem is not mounted.

And to have it mounted, it has to be created, but is it not the VDM creation the step that creates that filesystem? Or, we create manually a filesystem that would eventually become rootfs of the the restored VDM. How at the end we will make the data movers to recognize the restored filesystem as "new" VDM.

Is there any documantation that explains the steps of recovering VDMs is situations like this?

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 11:00

But then how quota information get restored?
No Events found!