Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2010 14:00

What's the best way to plan RAID group deployment for Migrating SQL to the SAN

i'm looking for a process or tool that will help me gauge my current local disk utilization on my SQL servers and help me plan/test new disk on my NS120.  i have the opportunity to plan this out properly and don't want to foul it up.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  I'm trying to determine IOPS but am unsure how to do so.

Thanks,

~M

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 4th, 2010 12:00

you will need to look at perfmon stats, unless you have some fancy MS SQL tools. Looks for these metrics:

PhysicalDisk\Avg. Disk Sec/Read - This  measures the average time, in seconds, to read data from the disk. If the number  is larger than 25 milliseconds (ms), that means the disk system is experiencing  latency when reading from the disk.

PhysicalDisk\Avg. Disk Sec/Write -  This measures the average time, in seconds, it takes to write data to the disk.  If the number is larger than 25 ms, the disk system experiences latency when  writing to the disk. For mission-critical servers hosting SQL Server and  Exchange Server, the acceptable threshold is much lower, approximately 10 ms.

PhysicalDisk\Avg. Disk Queue Length -  This indicates how many I/O operations are waiting for the hard drive to become  available.

PhysicalDisk\Disk reads/sec -         How many reads (I/O operations) per second, or rate of read operations on  disk.

PhysicalDisk\Avg.Disk Bytes/Write -  write IO size

Search PowerLink for Microsoft SQL white papers that provide examples how to deploy it on EMC storage.

No Events found!