Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2021 03:00

Some questions for SC4020

Hi,

i have some questions for the SC4020. I bought a SC4020 without the controllers.

- does the SC4020 works also with one Controller or do i need two to get started ? 

- from where do i get a license when i buy a used Controller ? and is it expensive ?

this is for private use and for test purpose.

Thanks 

Koltilabs

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 5th, 2021 12:00

I think that you waste your money. If possible give it back and when lucky receive a refund.

I never setup a Compellent with only one Controller. The installation step with joining both Controllers might be challenging with only one module.

Dell will never send you the license even if a valid one exist because youre not the legal owner from dell perspective. It might also possible that the license already was transferred to another system during an platform upgrade like a DIP or so.

Regards,
Joerg

2 Posts

December 5th, 2021 13:00

Hi @Origin3k / Joerg,

thanks a lot for the Information. Then it will be better to stay with my HP SAN system. I didn't know that Dell is so strickt (not sure if this is written correctly) about the license.

I didn't pay much ( under 150) for the case and the 2 power adapters. I will sell it to a IT supplier if they want it. If not i will put it in my cellar

As well i almost fall from the chair when i looked up the Controllers for the SC4020. I didn't know that they were soo expensive.

Regards,

Christian

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 5th, 2021 13:00

I have 3 discontinued 4020 in the basement with controller and one also have disks. But we transferred the license already.

Without the software and the knowledge its hard or near impossible to reimage a 4020 and iam not talking about the JAVA srapp within IPMI. During the installation you have to provide the licenses which are bind to the controller number and STAG.

It sounds like that your 4020 doesnt include any disks.... be aware that only certain Dell SC disk are compatible because of the needed FW. You cant use non Compellent disks as drives for the system.

Its the same as with Netapps or other midsized premium products. You have to get a complete and working system and not only the parts.

Regards,
Joerg

No Events found!