Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 21st, 2009 18:00

Cisco 9124e and McData 6140 (ED-140M)

Hello guys,

i am going to ISL a 9124e (HP C-blade integrated switch) and my McData director. I've ran this config through E-lab and it did not explicitly show 9124e as supported switch. It did show MDS 9120, 9140 ..etc. Is it safe to assume that 9124e is supported to be ISLed to 6140 ?

This is a brand new enclosure, i have not connected to the Cisco switch but it probably came with at least 3.x. My McData is running on 9.00.00.76. McData is set to "Open Fabric Mode 1.0", so i just need to set "Interopmode 1" on the Cisco ? Do i need to create any special VSANs or anything like that ? Anything else i should look for ?

Thanks

5.7K Posts

January 26th, 2009 01:00

First of all I'd upgrade the MDS to at least SAN-OS 3.3(2) or NX-OS 4.1(1b) because of the infamous 497 day reboot bug.
Furthermore AFAIK you need to set the interop mode on the MDS.

I've seen this once on a McData and we didn't need to change the domain ids, but then again: we were migrating from McData to Cisco. After the Cisco's were set to interop 1 we could see all flogi's on the MCData in Cisco Fabric Manager. We created aliases, zones and a new zoneset and activated that one and after reconnecting the patch cables we switched off the old McData's.

I'd suggest searching the Cisco site for "interop mode" and work from there.

January 26th, 2009 12:00

Hello,

If the EMC Support Matrix / Elab Navigator didn't show it as supported, it isn't. If you are going to run this in an EMC environment I would recommend you contact your EMC field support person and have them put in an RPQ (request for support on an unsupported configuration). This way engineering will evaluate / test the configuration to see if it can be supported or if there are any known issues. Please note that any EMC support case on this configuration will find it as not supported (by it not being on the Support Matrix) and this limits what can be done to assist you. It is always better to have an approved RPQ in hand for any configuration that isn't show as supported as this allows for increased options for support.

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 26th, 2009 16:00

i re-did my E-lab Navigator query and i do see 9124e, so it's supported but only version 3.2.2c while the switch came from HP preloaded with 3.3.1c. I don't even see 3.3.2 anywhere in the matrix. I would hate to put a brand new switch in production and have to worry about it rebooting in 497 days.

5.7K Posts

January 27th, 2009 01:00

I'd contact your EMC contact / CE and have him check this for you. I'm amazed that the elab navigator doesn't show 3.3.2 or 4.1.1b yet. But then again, you still have 99% of the 497 days to go, so plenty of time to fogure this out. But upgrading while not yet in production would be my favorite..... ;)
No Events found!