Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2011 09:00

I'm migrating from McData ED-140M to Brocade DCX SAN Switch. How do I "pull" zones and install on DCX?

I believe that there is a tool that allows you to "pull" the fabric/active zoneset/zones from the ED-140M and "install" them on the Brocade DCX?  Does anybody know how to do that?

I'm NOT going to put the McData and the Brocade in the same Fabric (i.e. - ISL them), with InterOp Mode, and all that stuff.  I'm just going to shut down the McData, and move the SAN cables; one Fabric at a time.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Stuart

2 Intern

• 

138 Posts

July 20th, 2011 06:00

ted:

I agree with you.  I've done it that way in the past.

However, what I'm going to do is this:

1.     Set up the new switch, virtual fabrics, domain IDs, etc, the whole thing.

2.     Discover the new switches in Connectrix Manager Data Center Edition (v10); wherein the old McData SAN Switches are already discovered.  (We use Connectrix Manager to Zone.)

3.     Map out the target port locations.

4.     "spoof" the target port FCIDs for ONLY the Storage Ports.  It turns out that HP-UX CxTyDz numbers only change when the Storage Port FCID changes.

o     i.e. - if the McData Storage Port FCID was "610413" make the new Brocade Storage Prt "610413".

5.     "Save" the Zoning config for each old fabric from Connectrix Manager.

6.     "Restore" the Zoning config to the NEW Brocade DCX SAN Switch!  (This process should take only 10 minutes or so!)

I'm going to try this today.

thanks for your help.

Stuart

2 Intern

• 

138 Posts

July 18th, 2011 11:00

I forgot to mention that I MUST "spoof" the FCIDs for all ports; i.e. - if the FCID for HPUX Server "Server1:hba0" is "610613" on the McData SAN Switch, then I need it to be "610613" on the Brocade DCX SAN Switch.  In that way, the "CxTyDz" numbers on the HP-UX device files will NOT change.  This is essential, or I'll have a nightmare matching up the volumes to the volume groups.

79 Posts

July 19th, 2011 21:00

Done this before.  Could setup ISLs and merge, but honestly, I would prefer to just script the zone creations.

Easiest thing is to take the switch reports, upload them to powerlink, and get the SWAT report or SAN Summary.

This should be available via E-Lab Advisor on Powelink.

79 Posts

July 19th, 2011 21:00

Ooops.  Left out, that you take this and manipulate in excel.  Then you can simply insert the brocade CLI syntax that you have a single zone creation command on every row.  You can then simply cut and paste into a window where you have the command prompt on the Brocade.

That has worked for me in the past.

9 Posts

April 29th, 2015 14:00

Did it work for you Stuat?

2 Intern

• 

138 Posts

April 30th, 2015 05:00

It was way more complicated than the above and we didn't do it that way.  We had to "spoof" the FCIDs for the storage ports to preserve the HP-UX CTD numbers, and we wound up doing the whole things with commands:

portcfgalpa 1/4 1

etc.

alicreate

zonecreate

We used a report to get the zones, and then a spreadsheet to create new zone commands.

9 Posts

May 6th, 2015 09:00

Thanks for your reply my friend. Appreciated.

No Events found!