Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2014 17:00

ISL between 2 Brocade switches with different FOS versions Options

So we have 1 switch fabric [4100B v.4.2a] that needs to be decomed after the cables being migrated to 6510[FOS 7.2.1].

Will ISLing the 2 switches segment the switches?

I wish to (after the ISL's) move the cables from old to the new switches and remove the ISL. Will this make the new switch principal with the inhereted zone(& zoneset) information from the old switch?

Please let me know.

2.1K Posts

November 4th, 2014 08:00

No worries... I was pretty sure that's what you were going for with the FOS version.

Those steps are pretty much what I would do (and have done) in the same situation. Just make sure you review the troubleshooting guide for all the things that could prevent the switches merging into a fabric. That's what will usually catch you up. Since it is a new switch with nothing on it yet though there is no real risk. If you try and ISL and it doesn't take you just figure out why, fix it, and try again.

As for pulling the ISL down when you are done... yes, you will end up with the same zoneset on both switches and you can proceed with decommitting the old one. The new one will now act as a stand alone fabric and continue working as it was when the ISL was in place.

2.1K Posts

November 4th, 2014 07:00

I just want to confirm one thing first... I'm fairly certain that typo in the FOS version of the 4100B left out the "6"... so it is running v6.4.2a?

Running with that assumption though my next question is to confirm that the 4100B is NOT running in one of the interop modes. If it is you have a problem because FOS 7.2.x can't connect to a fabric in interop mode. If your 4100B is running pure native Brocade mode then you should be fine (as long as you carefully read all the stipulations about merging switches into a fabric.

Does the 6510 already have things on it? Or is this a wholesale replacement with a new 6510 completely replacing the 4100B?

31 Posts

Can you post me the troubleshoot guide.

Thanks Again for confirmation.

31 Posts

I am sorry that should be 6.4.2a.

The old switch is running in Brocade native mode.So is the new switch[6510]

interopmode --show

InteropMode: Off

6510 is brand new switch with no devices connected. It has nothing set except for the domain-id which is different from the old switch with which it will be ISL'd.

below are the steps i'am planning on performing. Please correct where possible.

1.Run ISL.

2. Wait for the cfg's to export and a fabric discovery.[verify by running islshow/switchshow/fabricshow]-I am hoping this should not segment fabric

3.migrate/move the cables between the switches

4.Unplug the ISL[this should make the new switch principal and take over as the primary fabric,thus removing the old switch]. Will it retain the def/effective config??

5. Decom the old switch

2.1K Posts

November 5th, 2014 14:00

I'll take a look and find a link to what I was referencing. It isn't actually a "troubleshooting guide" per say but it does have a section on things to check if you are having trouble ISLing switches/fabrics together. I can't look for it right now but I should be able to get you a link tomorrow.

2.1K Posts

November 6th, 2014 08:00

If you search the Support Site for "Fabric OS Troubleshooting and Diagnostics Guide" you should be able to pull up the one for FOS 7.2.0. Turns out there is a specific guide for this.

Once you have that paper go to the Connectivity | Segmented Fabrics section. Reaqding about what could be wrong before you do it can often let you avoid the actual issue when you try it :-)

31 Posts

November 6th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for the effort.

No Events found!