Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2010 07:00

MDS 9222i Upgrade to 5.01(a)

After reading the doc's, I have a question about the upgrade path and non-disruptive and disruptive.

Seeing that our 9222i has only one Sup module, any upgrade is going to be disruptive.

Not caring about the disruptive part ( in that it has to reboot the switch).

Currently the switch has ver. 3.2.3(a) running and I need to get to 5.01(a).  The doc's state I need to go to 3.3 then 4.2 then 5.01a, for non-disruptive.

Can I skip any of these version upgrades  without losing any configuration inforamtion ( zoning, aliases, etc.).

Main reason for asking is time constraints for doing the upgrades.

Thanks,

Bing

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

October 15th, 2010 08:00

I wouldn't skip any of the mentioned upgrades as mentioned. If it's recommended like this, there's a reason why

As for time requirements I'd say you'd need about half an hour, maybe 1 hour per upgrade which includes making sure there's enough space on flash, copying the new code to flash, running the upgrade and verify everything is still working.

> Seeing that our 9222i has only one Sup module, any upgrade is going to be disruptive

Nope.... most upgrades are NDUs, non disruptive upgrades , although in certain cases with special blades, like iscsi or SSM it can be disruptive. The release notes do mention these exceptions.

October 15th, 2010 07:00

Hello Bing,

I would personally reccomend sticking to the upgrade path provided as skipping these steps may cause some serious bugs later on (meaning the upgrade may complete successfully but a few bugs may hinder optimal performance).

To get the best out of the firmware upgrade I would reccomend scheduling some time to do the complete path.

Best Regards,

Ayman

71 Posts

October 15th, 2010 11:00

Please stick to the upgrade path, as if you skip the intermediate hops, the upgrade may not be successful. Go through the release notes of the version you are upgrading to, for details. Also try to take backup of the running configuration, for that, 'just in case', situation.

12 Posts

November 29th, 2010 03:00

Issue the

show install all impact upgrade-image CLI command to

determine if your upgrade will be nondisruptive.

As was previously stated you must follow the release notes...

No Events found!