Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

July 30th, 2008 10:00

Modifying FCS Database Content

Is it possible to modify the FCS database information on an MDS switch? We have a 5 switch fabric which we are monitoring with ECC 5.2 SP5. We recently changed the IP address of the mgmt0 port on some of the switches in the fabric but ECC still shows the old address in Properties and in StorageScope reports. If you rediscover the switch using the new IP address it updates, but then seems to change the properties of the other switches in the fabric - it seems to pick up the IP address of the other switches from somewhere in the MDS. I'm guessing it queries the FCS database - when I query it from the MDS CLI, it shows two Switch MGMT-Addresses - the new one and the old one. You end up going round in circles. You rediscover switch A which corrects the IP address but changes switch B to the old address. You then rediscover switch B which corrects that one but changes switch A back to its old address. It took me a day of thinking I was going mad to find out what was happening!

2.2K Posts

July 30th, 2008 10:00

This may sound like a simple question, but did you remove the old IP address through the CLI before adding the new one or just add the new one?

What do you see if you issue 'show int mgmt0' on the switch?

July 30th, 2008 11:00

Are you seeing incorrect information from the switch perspective or is the issue isolated to the ECC discover process?

12 Posts

July 31st, 2008 02:00

Thanks for the replies.

No I didn't remove the old IP address first. I assumed I was just changing it - I didn't realise I would need to remove the old one first.

The issue is really what is seen in ECC - I can access the switches via the new addresses OK but ECC shows the old address when you select properties or in Storagescope reports. It also occasionally issues "Statistics collection failed" messages which I was guessing may be because it is trying to use the old IP address

2.2K Posts

July 31st, 2008 07:00

I think you can assign multiple IP addresses to the mgmt0 interface, but am unable to confirm right now. That is why I wanted to see the out put of the 'show int mgmt0' command. If it shows both ip addresses, the old and the new, then you can just go into config mode and enter 'no ip w.x.y.x ....'

Can you post the results of 'show int mgmt0' ?

July 31st, 2008 09:00

Hello,

The MGT port should really only have and display one IP address for it. I'm not sure how via CLI or the GUI you could assign multiple addresses to it but you never can tell there could be a way. An output of the MGT port configuration as previously noted is the way to confirm that.

I talked to one of the guys in ECC support and he stated that it is very possible you have multiple entries for the switch in the ECC database and this could be causing the issue. He recommended in deleting all the associated switches and rediscovering them. This should resolve the issue.

Thank you.

12 Posts

July 31st, 2008 10:00

Here is a post of the sh int mgmt0 followed by sh fcs data

Each VSAN shows two Switch MGMT-Addresses under the FCS data - I think this is what ECC is discovering (unless the old IP address is stored somewhere else on the switch as well)

I have been round the loop of deleting all the switches out of ECC and rediscovering them but it discovers the first switch in the fabric OK, then changes the discovered IP of the first switch when it moves on to the next

sh int mgmt0

mgmt0 is up
Hardware is FastEthernet
Address is 0013.1957.e080
Internet address is 207.37.210.45/27
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100 Mbps full Duplex
453967754 packets input, 1518768615 bytes
0 multicast frames, 0 compressed
1 input errors, 13688 frame, 0 overrun 0 fifo
300492652 packets output, 2101371907 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 63821 collisions, 432 fifo
0 carrier errors

DXSHRSW05# sh fcs data

FCS Local Database in VSAN: 1
------------------------------
Switch WWN : 20:01:00:0d:ec:1f:c3:c1
Switch Domain Id : 0x01(1)
Switch Mgmt-Addresses : snmp://145.16.19.179/eth-ip
http://145.16.19.179/eth-ip
snmp://207.37.210.45/eth-ip
http://207.37.210.45/eth-ip

2.2K Posts

July 31st, 2008 10:00

Have you tried to edit the fcs database?

Example:

mds9509(config)# fcs register

mds9509(config-fcs-register)# platform name vsan

mds9509(config-fcs-register-attrib)# no mgmt-addr w.x.y.z

I think you will have to do that for each vsan.

12 Posts

August 4th, 2008 03:00

Have tried editing the FCS but it says Platform Management Address not available, I think because there is no pre defined platform name. If you define a new platform name, it doesn't get linked to the old data

2.2K Posts

August 4th, 2008 07:00

Paul,
Well I am stuck, and if CiscoKid can't answer the question I suggest you try the Cisco Support Forums.

Go to:
http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=Data_Center_discussion

... and select the Storage Networking section. I have had a few issues resolved there that I couldn't find the answer to elsewhere.

Sorry I couldn't help,
Aran

12 Posts

August 4th, 2008 08:00

We currently have version 3.1(2)

August 4th, 2008 08:00

Hello,

What version of SAN-OS is installed on the switches?

Thank you.

12 Posts

August 4th, 2008 09:00

I have tried a full delete of everything and rediscover.

I haven't raised a support case yet - I thought I may get a quick and esy answer here! Looks like that is my next course of action.

I'd recommending opening a case with EMC support as this is an issue that should be documented in case other run into it. When I received updates from Cisco, I'll also post them here.

Thank you.

I noted in the ECC 5.2 SP5 release notes "When a Cisco switch is deleted, the Cisco Physical Fabric does not get deleted from Fabrics folder. The work around is to manually delete this Physical Fabric." I'd recommend trying to delete the Physical Fabric and then try rediscover.

If it still fails, the issue is on the FCS on the MDS switch. 3.1(2) was the first release it started listing virtual devices so it may be a bug. I've emailed Cisco to see if the display showing two IP addresses is normal or not.

Have you opened a support case with EMC on this issue?

12 Posts

August 5th, 2008 03:00

I'll go ahead and raise a case. Thanks for all the replies
No Events found!