Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 24th, 2017 05:00

Can't register my TB16 dock

I've tried multiple times to register my new TB16 dock under my Dell account. Each time I was presented with the message the service tag couldn't be found. I've searched this forum and found a few posts reporting the same issue, but with no resolution provided.

For a few weeks, it wasn't an issue for me but the dock got broken and now I can't submit a support ticket with Dell. I've provided the tag, the photo of the dock's label and the proof of purchase, but they claim they can't find the dock in their system and want me to track the original Dell's internal purchase order number!

Obviously, the retailer I purchased the dock from is surprised and doesn't have a clue what I want from him. Moreover, they actually purchased this from the national importer (being Dell's partner) and they have no idea what the Dell purchase order number can be.

This is totally crazy - I don't think it should be me tracking the device if Dell's unable to locate it. I have every proof I've purchased it from the official distribution source and it should be Dell searching for it, if they need it. Now my dock is not working and I waste time with bureaucracy instead of just waiting for the replacement.

Regardless, since apparently I'm not the only one unable to register the TB16 dock with Dell, what is the issue?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 25th, 2017 05:00

Hi rutkowski,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies for the difficulties with your service tag.  When you purchased from the reseller, did you register your product?  This is one way to reduce the confusion with the service tags.  http://dell.to/2uwJKeH

Please contact Customer Care in Your country for assistance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 25th, 2017 06:00

Thank you for this advice, Robert!

Actually I haven't registered my product in any special way, especially I haven't used the registration wizard you linked to. I've just done so, so this one has been completed!

However, it's my nth Dell product and I never registered any of them and was able to use the respective service tags throughout the Dell website and - in 1 or 2 cases - also for my support requests. This is the first time Dell's feedback is "I have no idea what device you're referring to"... :(

Furthermore, I'm starting to be suspicious about this dock. I mean - I've checked all the delivery boxes of my Dell products I have (7 of them in total at the moment) and every each of them, but the dock box, has clear indications of the order number, ordering party, delivery address and so on. Virtually any information Dell Support may ask me. The only exception is the dock box - it has almost nothing on it, apart from a few stickers of a technical look, but definitely no order information, ordering party details etc. It may mean nothing, but given Dell is also unable to identify this device, I'm concerned if this is the genuine Dell product or if it's a new device, not refurbished or so (though I believe I wouldn't have any issues with the refurbished one in relation to getting the support). I hope I'm not getting paranoic here...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 25th, 2017 09:00

Just so you know, I have not been able to register or even find the TB16 using any of the associated numbers.

I tried to add it to my devices but it failed where another laptop I have worked.  None of my devices were listed on my devices page even though three are recent laptops and were registered.

I wonder if there is a separation between some areas of the Dell site, since I have sign in to read a private message when I am already signed into the forum..

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 28th, 2017 07:00

This line in your post says it all:

"Obviously, the retailer I purchased the dock from is surprised and doesn't have a clue what I want from him. Moreover, they actually purchased this from the national importer (being Dell's partner) and they have no idea what the Dell purchase order number can be."

Purchases directly from Dell are automatically registered, which is explained in that link I sent you.  Third party purchases are registered to the original buyer ( in this case, the retailer ), so it requires a registration form. 

No Events found!