Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

July 1st, 2016 12:00

Complaint Letter

I purchased two identical Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 laptop computers from Best Buy.  The computers were then carefully transported to and used in the Philippines.  The first computer performed well and continues to do so, but the second began overheating and shutting down a few weeks after purchased. 

The malfunctioning computer was taken to an authorized Dell repair center in the Philippines.  The technician diagnosed the overheating problem as a factory defect!  But for some reason, the technician would only fix the computer when granted permission to do so from Dell warranty services.

Dell customer support service instructed transferring ownership to the user in the Philippines, and from that point an authorized Dell technician can then effect repairs. But the transfer of ownership could not even be initiated.  Dell’s online service declined the transfer.

I contacted Dell customer support service for further advisement, and was told the transfer of ownership could not be done because the computer belongs to Best Buy USA, for that reason, the computer must be sent to Huston, Texas for repair and service.

I managed to get the computer back into the United States, and from that point sent the computer to Dell’s service center in Huston, Texas, expecting the repair of a defective computer.

Shortly there after, a service technician informed me that “liquid spillage” has caused overheating and intermittent shutoffs.  Dell customer support service immediately followed by saying liquid spillage is the customer’s liability; therefore the warranty does not qualify for fixing damages caused by the customer.

I responded back.  I told them: I will not pay for repairing damages.  The overheating problem comes from a defective computer, not from a customer mishap.

At this time the computer has been placed on hold pending further instructions. 

If some nerdy tech accuses me of spilling liquid on my computer without relying on verification or a sliver of an investigation, then it is just as valid for me to accuse the tech of lying.  The tech did not even question me if I accidentally spilled liquid on the computer.  He just appointed blame at me only from assumption, when it seems more likely the blame for a malfunctioning computer falls on Dell.  As I stated previously, a certified Dell repair technician diagnosed the computer as having a factory defect.  Now the factory defect has been nullified and replaced by liquid spillage.  The computer’s problem has transitioned from being Dell’s fault to being the customer’s fault.

The computer is a lemon, a defective computer.  This computer has never been subjected to abuse, nor improper use, nor subjected to any accidental occurrence.  In fact, this computer was hardly ever used.  We always keep our computers in pristine condition, for the matter.

I strongly believe Dell has taken advantage of me by depriving me of the computer’s warranty.  They exhibited stall tactics, dead-end instructions, unreasonable explanations, disingenuous cooperation, and as a final attempt: computer hostage tactics.  

Even though I jumped through every hoop they put before me, I was denied at every turn.  And during the midst of their manipulation, the have the gall to say: Thank you for choosing Dell.  

Dell exhibited crafty ways of steering the situation away from the obligation to repair, repurchase, or replace my defective computer.  Dell is now, in essence, holding my computer as a hostage at their facility in Huston, TX.  If I want my computer back, then I must pay them a ransom.

How am I profiting from this situation?  There is no monetary gain.  I am not acquiring anything that does not belong to me.  I expended time and effort for a fair and equitable service, and pursuing such a cause is proof of my sincerity.

Dell, in comparison, has a lot to gain from denying me the manufacturers warranty and avoiding obligations established by applicable Lemon Laws, such as the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act that protects consumers from being stuck with a defective product.  Dell’s ulterior motive includes manipulative business practices that maintains sale of the computer and makes additional money by charging me expensive repair fees.  Dell has trained their personnel to follow a script causing the consumer to receive the exact opposite of what they want or deserve.   

I would bet you have been a victim of deception at some time in your life, but did your moral outrage bring you justice?  If you apply your sensibilities to my fight against Dell, then whom would you believe has acted in an honest way?

I contend Dell sold me a defective computer, and has deviously attempted to put the blame on me. 

Please rescind the purchase of the computer, and provide a refund or facilitate the exchange for another computer.  

9.4K Posts

July 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi Mcunanan,

Thanks for posting in the US Customer Care forum.

Apologies for your experience, but unfortunately since the terms and conditions of purchase were violated when the system was exported outside the USA, that creates a problem with warranty repairs.  Additionally, the computer was purchased from a retailer Best Buy, and is their responsibility to cover warranty repairs for the first year.  Also, to my knowledge, Dell does not have a repair facility in Houston, Texas, and from the information in the post above it appears that it is  Best Buy's repair facilities and technicians that are diagnosing the spillage, not Dell.

Therefore, please contact Best Buy for resolution to your issue, if it's determined that there is indeed a problem with the way the computer was manufactured, the Best Buy technicians will consult with Dell directly for resolution.

9.4K Posts

July 8th, 2016 07:00

My apologies, Dell does have an Advanced Resolution Center in Houston.  After further research I've found that they have a higher authority than this team does, so hopefully they can resolve your issue quickly.  Since you are working with them, I'll be closing my case.

Once again, apologies for any miscommunication I may have given you and thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!