Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2015 10:00

Customer Complaint - Where to File?

6/09/15

I work for a large construction company that has a special employee discount rate with Dell due to all the computers they purchase for business. I used this account to purchase two computers. On the evening of June 9, 2015 I received a phone call from Dell Security because he claimed my husband’s computer was sending Dell a large amount of error messages and they believed his computer was hacked. He told me his credentials, gave me the computer tag number, and then asked me if he could remote into the computer. I agree and helped him remote in.

Over the next hour he proceeded to show me error messages and files that were locked with a message saying that only the administrator of the computer could access the files. He told me they were locked by hackers or individuals accessing the computer without my knowledge. He even had me try and delete a file and it said I wasn’t allowed to. What I found very interesting is that then he showed me a file hidden on my computer that had been installed in 2013. I didn’t tell him but I purchased the computers in 2014 so was this a refurbished computer or was the software installed on it by someone at Dell before I got it so that they could use it as a marketing tool later? Because at the end of the show and tell the Dell Security agent tried to sell me expensive software to clean up and remove the hacking software that was on the computer. When I told him I wasn’t ready to make such a purchase he told me that within two weeks the computer would probably stop working. This brought into my mind the earlier questions of who really put this hacking software on the computer if it was 2013 a full year before I purchased it from Dell brand new. When I insisted that I was under financial “stress” at the moment due to some family stuff going on the agent insisted that the computer would be no good if I didn’t finance with him to purchase the required software and I was making a big mistake. By the end of the conversation he was downright rude and just before he signed off he made sure to delete all his credentials from my computer. But I did get his name and wrote it down.

I don’t know who to contact with my complaint. I don’t want to take it to agencies without trying to resolve this with Dell first. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to file this complaint with Dell?

June 11th, 2015 15:00

You have likely been scammed, I doubt that person was related to dell in any way.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 11th, 2015 15:00

We are investigating this. Our Customer Care Liaison (DELL-Lorna M) responded to a similar complaint on this thread. Follow the advice that she posted.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 11th, 2015 16:00

And now you should carefully scan your system for malware he may have installed using something reliable like the free version of Malwarebytes and/or the free version of SuperAntispyware.  And back up your files on external media ASAP, just to be safe.

No Events found!