Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2013 20:00

Dell mysteriously cancels my order of broken part, then takes 1 hour 45 minutes on the phone to redo order

Almost two weeks ago my motherboard on my Dell Alienware Aurora R4 computer died. Since it is 1.5 years old, it's 6 months out of warranty, and was told I need to buy a replacement motherboard for $717 through the Dell Employee Purchase Program. I don't know why it's so much money, considering competitive motherboards are a lot cheaper. Anyway I was told that the replacement part would arrive in less than a week. However, I then received an email saying the shipment was delayed another week and is estimated to arrive August 27th.

Today (August 27th) I clicked the check status link to see if the motherboard had been delivered. I found out that the order was mysteriously cancelled. What happened next was I spent 1 hour and 45 minutes on the phone, being transferred at least 8 times, trying to get the part reordered. I was given three separate possible reasons for the order being cancelled:

1. Duplicate order

2. Part out of stock

3. Could not contact card holder

Whatever the real reason is, I'm not sure. I noticed that the person who initially placed the order didn't verify my billing and delivery address and phone numbers, so the phone number on the delivery address was incorrect, and the apartment number on the billing address was incorrect. Perhaps this could have affected possible reason #3, or perhaps the person took down the wrong credit card number. I don't know. It's ridiculous that they would cancel the order on you without notifying you whatsoever. I told the people that I'm speaking with that regardless of what happened, I need to get a replacement part. 

A person in X department would transfer me to Y department, and the person in Y department would try to transfer me back to X department, but would start me back at the automated voice system, which multiple times gave a technical problem error and hung up on me.

Eventually I was told I needed to speak with a parts replacement person. The parts replacement person tried to send me back to customer service, which would have been at least the 9th transfer, but I told him no. He told me that the price of the replacement motherboard had actually increased in price, but after arguing with him he managed to knock ten dollars off of the *increased* price. After much waiting he said that he redid the order. I forced him to listen as I restated my correct billing and delivery information with him. I'm not sure if he was actually double checking this information or just pretending to do it, as he didn't read anything back to me. I then asked if I would be receiving a confirmation email from him. He said he is not in control of the confirmation emails and refused to stay on the phone with me until I received one. Based on how terribly things are going, I'm worried I'm going to find more problems in the confirmation email I receive. Heck, at this point I'm not sure I'll receive a confirmation email at all. I hope he actually put an order in.

My coworker, overhearing much of the phone call, told me that I had amazing patience and that he would be livid.

I should also add that before calling, I had emailed the "Sales Professional" that had placed the original replacement order on the phone two weeks ago. He had ignored my email from last Friday, so I emailed him again asking him to respond. I then discovered myself that the order had been cancelled. I told him this and he said that the reason was reason #3, credit card. In the email thread I told him that I still want the motherboard and that my order shouldn't have been cancelled, and my final email to him was "So are you not going to do anything to help me then?" with no response.

Two weeks ago I was told by the original "Sales Professional" that once I receive the motherboard, I would call him to setup an appointment for a service tech to install the motherboard. Funny enough I called the "Sales Professional's" phone number and extension listed on his email and was unable to reach him. The person I spoke with on the phone today asked if I was going to install the motherboard myself. I said that previously I was told that a service tech would install it. The person I spoke with said I should instead call tech support once I received the motherboard to setup this appointment with the service tech. However I will not be the least bit surprised if this is not actually the case, and I get transferred multiple times and waste more time when I make this phone call.

Basically my experience today is that every Dell person does not want to actually help you, but to redirect any sort of work or responsibility to someone else. It's like workplace aikido. Many of the representatives seem annoyed to be talking to you. What started as being extremely unhappy with an expensive part breaking quickly and needing to be replaced turned into an absolute nightmare and waste of time on the phone. I would have thought that being a part of the "Employee Purchase Program" and purchasing the supposedly high end Alienware brand would have gotten me some sort of slightly higher priority service and help, but this couldn't have been further from the truth.

Dell has a lot of making up to do to me. I've been a loyal Dell customer, both for my personal home use and for the companies I've worked at, since the mid 90's, and I feel like a fool. I don't think things were ever this bad with them before. During that 1 hour and 45 minutes on the phone, I wondered if this was some sort of bizarre prank, because it was unreal how bad the service was.

Unfortunately the nightmare isn't over yet.

8.8K Posts

August 28th, 2013 12:00

paleIsTheNewTan,

I read your entire post and totally understand where you are coming from.  I've been through everything you mentioned.

If I can  make a suggestion I would suggest you get that warranty extended so you don't find yourself in this predicament again.  This is a new system and could last your 5 years or more.

You would want to get the full warranty, that is, both part and installation at your home.  I had an R4 ATX, parts are expensive that I know on this system. Parts are expensive period. 

Now, is there anything that I can do to help you? 

Zb1

7 Posts

September 18th, 2013 00:00

Things have gotten worse with my situation. It's September 18th and still no motherboard.

First off, I never received the confirmation email that the last Dell rep I spoke to promised me. I had to keep emailing and tweeting @dellCares for a week to get a confirmation email.

Upon arrival of the confirmation email, I found that my address information was incorrect. What really angered me was that the Dell rep on the phone was trying to hang up the phone as quickly as possible, but I made him stay on and verify my address information with him, since they had some incorrect info on the first cancelled order. It turns out that this Dell rep just pretended to listen and verify my address information. I should have had him read my address information to me, instead of the other way around, so he couldn't lie to me that he was actually verifying it.

I've also received several emails notifying me of delays of my order. One of the emails even said that if I don't give an OK within 24 hours that I'm OK with the latest delay, that the order would be cancelled all together.

The Dell reps that I communicate with on @dellcares give me nothing but false promises of "we will try to expedite your order". Instead, my order is just further delayed. You'd think with all the hassle I've had to go through, that I would at least get some accelerated or preferential treatment, but this is the exact opposite.

7 Posts

September 18th, 2013 11:00

I should mention that because of an email I sent late last night to Dell executives, I just received a call from the "Dell Escalation Team". While on the phone I asked the rep to verify my address information, because I have never seen proof that it was actually corrected. Nope, they still had the wrong address information despite me telling them numerous times that it was incorrect. At least now that's fixed. The rep gave me the line that I've heard quite a few times from the Twitter account @dellcares, which is "give me a few days to work on this." At least it seems like I'm making some progress in receiving the motherboard.

8.8K Posts

Good,,,,,

8.8K Posts

paleIsTheNewTan,

Now I'm confused, what are you waiting for at this point?   Did you buy a new motherboard?

What has Dell promised that they haven't delivered on, I'm trying to see if I can help.?  Being out of warranty makes this difficult.

Zb1

7 Posts

Hi zbestwun2001. I'm still waiting for the motherboard! The first order I placed on August 16th was cancelled by Dell without notice after two weeks. I then placed the order again and it's been delayed several times. I still don't have a motherboard. :(

No Events found!