Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2015 11:00

Dell scam or Legit

Hello, so today I received a call from, 8006249896, which popped up as "Dell Computer" from my cellphone caller ID (I have Verizon Caller name ID). I have two saved Dell numbers ( Dell tech and Dell CC) but all I read was "Dell" so i assumed it was Dell. The guy calling had an "Indian" accent, he greeted me by my first name, and even provided my security tag along with my pc model, ok it sounds legit so far. This guy was very polite, professional, and even a good actor. Just an FYI this is my wife's computer so i don't really use it or pay attention to it as much. 

Where it sounds like a scam: He went ahead and told me that  "dell database" was receiving multiple error messages from my computer, according to him, he was receiving the messages through some Dell provided software. Ok, so we went ahead and set up a remote access using "www.fff.r/8yet" or something. The guy took control, he showed me the "errors" and then used cmd to show me more "errors." He even went through the trouble or googling some virus that my pc supposedly had. He asked questions like do you use this pc of banking or social media? "yes" ok we need to take care of this asap, according to the errors, someone was trying to hack me.

The guy went through the trouble of trying to extend my Dell software warranty which i declined multiple times. He said i was still covered in hardware but not software. He showed prices for 1 year and 3 years, the difference, even wrote down an estimate in notepad for the prices that I may pay at Walmart and Bestbuy ($350+). He was trying to convince me that Dell is cheaper (250+).

I said no, that i'll fix it on my own and I asked for a callback number just in case I change my mind. He spoke some language I didn't understand, then he said, "do you know what that means sir?" I said no, so he said, "it means, you just *** up." He then opened up something, tried to create a password, I asked him what he was doing, he ignored me and started talking about something else, So i unplugged my pc and told him that I told him to stop. He then says, "You just *** your own mother." and clicked on me.

So my question is, has anybody had the same number, or similar number, and did they have your info, before they called, as well? I really hope that wasn't a legit Dell agent that flipped out.

This happened on 11/17/2015 and the call was at 11:02 am, pacific time.

I called back and its "Dell" so either they spoofed the number or it was legit.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 17th, 2015 15:00

No Events found!