Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2015 13:00

End of life policy for XPS laptops?

There is a new Dell "end of life" policy for XPS laptop. I have been a loyal Dell laptop user for years. My last two purchases were two XPS laptops. The last one I purchased had to have a repair within 2 years. It is just over 5 years old and apparently needs a new keyboard. I was told that after five years the computer is at end of life status and no parts are available. I bought the XPS with every bell and whistle available making it quite expensive. I never imagined that Dell has this new policy and the expression "end of life" was repeated by several Dell representatives including a supervisor, obviously that is a new mantra. I no longer recommend a Dell. Fortunately my older XPS is fine and I have an old Toshiba over 10 years old that works just fine and a even older Dell Inspiron as well. Because I used the laptops for work I had several for different purposes. The last XPS had the least use and had suffered no falls or other damage. To add insult to injury I was told by Dell to try to get the part from laptop repair services. Tried and was told by several that the keyboard on this particular XPS - XPS15z was found to have keyboard problems and they had exhausted any parts for it. I will continue to post over the Internet the new " end of life" mantra warning others that is no longer worth it to spend the money for an expensive XPS. I do not know if the end of life concept now applies to all of their laptops but I certainly will never buy a Dell again.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 24th, 2015 17:00

XF4YC - Keyboard - US International For Dell Computers, here, here, here, here, etc...

Compatible with: XPS 14z, XPS 15z, XPS L412z, XPS L511z.

121 Posts

September 25th, 2015 08:00

398 Posts

September 25th, 2015 09:00

Yeah, from my experience, end-of-life seems to be 2 to 3 years for consumer products, 3 to 4 years for business-class products. Dell servers guarantees that the end-of-life for server products is 5 years from the end of production. Apple guarantees 5 years (vintage in their parlance), but they typically have a slower replacement cycle than most computer manufacturers.

So the OP's experience is pretty much to be expected.

10 Posts

September 25th, 2015 12:00

you are right, I had been buying  laptops from dell too , the current one is inspiron 1545, the  anti theft in BIOS security, coputrance agent from absolute software had been ceased by malware and activated, it blur white  the 3 button setting, can't be click, I called absolute software and they said, the laptop is not in their database, I call dell they can not tell me weather that software was chips with system or malware downloaded it , no help at all, nothing can be downloaded from dell website because malware block it, this is last from dell, I will not use any of their product or recommend it.

No Events found!