Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2015 15:00

False Advertising and Bait & Switch practice

Shame on you Dell!

Typical Bait and Switch practice: lured me to the website with an offer that doesn't exist and offered something either of much inferior quality or something for a much higher price.

Inspiron 15 7000 Series 2-in-1: A powerful laptop and large tablet in one device with a True Color Display for crisp, vibrant imagery. Featuring a 6th Gen Intel Core i3 processor and Windows 10.  Available with Windows 10 Pro.  Starting at $599

Under the ad there is a link: Dell.com/sb/2in1

When I visited the link and clicked to look at the options for this model I found 4 options:

- One with an Intel Pentium 3825U Processor with Windows 10 Home for $549 but that could be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for an extra $50

- One with an i3-6100U Processor with Windows 10 Home for $599 that does not have an option to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

- Two with an i5-6200U Processor with Windows 10 Pro for $899 and $949 (slightly different configurations)

Since the ad was for the i3 processor and stated that Windows 10 Pro was available, I decided to call the phone number 877-913-3355 to speak to a sales representative.  Unfortunately, she informed me that there is no Inspiron 15 7000 Series 2-in-1 with an i3 processor with Windows 10 Pro, and that there was nothing she could do about it.  When I told her that was what the marketing material said her reply was to tell me the advertising is wrong and that she doesn't work for the advertising department.

So, basically, if I want it with Windows 10 Pro (which I need) I have to either buy a much inferior machine with the Pentium 3825U processor and and pay $599 or I have to spend $899 ($300 more - 50% more) and buy the one with the i5-6200U processor.  What I was expecting was to pay the $50 upgrade charge to get the model with i3-6100U (so $649 total).

1 Attachment

2.3K Posts

December 11th, 2015 12:00

Dell does need to word their ads a little bit better, however the ads they put out are starting configurations.  Since Dell sells multiple configurations for the same model, it can be a tad confusing on what is available for what. I will say however that you CAN get the i3 model with windows home, then upgrade it via the control panel in windows 10 and the costs shouldn't be any different then if you did it via Dell (if it was possible). 

No Events found!