Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2012 21:00

My brand new Alienware M18xR2 was delivered defective and Dell does not care

My $4000 Alienware M18xR2 just arrived and it is a mess. Missing items I paid for and an unusable keyboard. There is no RAID array.  I know your database indicates I have one, this is not correct. I am very concerned about the keyboard. Almost every key I press randomly moves the cursor and highlights blocks of text so that the next keystroke deletes the highlighted text. This is unusable. It takes forever to type anything because of this.  If I cannot get this resolved I need to return this product. Because I bought Alienware and purchased through MPP I am being treated disrespectfully by Dell Customer Service. I’ve been a Dell customer for 20 years and do not want to terminate my relationship with Dell. Unfortunately I may have no choice. When I contact Dell chat, I am told they cannot help me because I used MPP / Dell Advantage. Then I get a phone number. Unfortunately I cannot use the telephone. When I try to contact Technical Support, I am told they cannot help me because I bought Alienware. Then I get a phone number. Overall my current experience with Dell is more unpleasant than I thought possible. Please help me.

November 1st, 2012 22:00

I have had similar issue. M17X R4 dead keyboard... 1 month and no resolution.

December 28th, 2012 19:00

I have the same keyboard problems with an Asus laptop,  So I'm hoping this is just a software glitch that can be fixed.

I have read that a few people have had same issue with RAID, but have reported that a Dell tech has helped them resolve that problem.

I know nobody likes to have to "fix" a brand new and expensive computer, but the RAID issue is easily resolved, providing the hard drives physically exist.

14 Posts

December 29th, 2012 10:00

I hope that someone high up enough in the support structure reads this and can help me. I, too have received my new $3800 Alienware Aurora R4 more than a week ago. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my son. Needless to say, his Christmas at the moment is looking very lean. The beautiful case and its innards sit on the dining room table, along with a new Dell 22-in. monitor, new mouse(wired), and new Logitech G510 keyboard(wired). All plugged in to the powerstrip Dell sent us. Three times in the last four days, I have waited twenty minutes, only to have the phone call cut off after ten minutes with the support person having taken my phone and alternate cell phone every time, along with my email. I have $3800+ invested in a useles-at-the-moment 70-pound elephant in the dining room. One tech had me plug in the DVI connector to the PC and monitor, using the bottom of the dual video cards. The quick-start guide said to use to top card. I've performed a power-drain with the power button, as I chatted with the tech, then she had me go through a power-on sequence and I finally got a splash screen with an Alien head that instructed me to push F2. I push F2 and the screen then says, "no hard drive, please reseat and try again". That's all it ever does. I cannot hold a conversation with support, after a 20-minute wait to connect and a ten-minute disconnect, so far in four days no-one will answer my emails at Dell or return my phone calls. The Pig sits on my dining room table, inert, and I'm out $3800 bucks.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2012 11:00

I too am FRUSTRATED with the lack of concern from DELL. My 12 year old daughter only wanted one thing for Xmas, Alienware 18x, R2. I knew to order it early to guarantee arrival by the 25th. I place the order around the first of December to make sure It arrived Xmas morning. I built the machine online and was promised a delivery date by 12-19-12. Before I placed my order I called dell to confirm the date of delivery. That's where I made my mistake. A sales rep took over and said "to assure delivery he would have to help me" rebuild the machine. I took his word and spent 90 minutes on the phone with the dell rep. I even had to point out coupons and dell discounts, that he had to search and question the validity of the discounts. He VERBALLY promised delivery by Xmas, but looking later at the order quote that was emailed it had delivery date by 12-27-12. I didn't see this until after the order was completed. I then called the sales rep and asked why, and he said " don't worry, I give you my word it will be there by 12/21/12." I took his word as the truth, I checked online everyday for 2 weeks to assure the process. On many days i called dell to reassure myself. By 12-19-12 I called again, as it has not been shipped yet. I then checked online and saw it was "updated shipping to 1-8-13." I was furious and begin calling, emailing, chatting and after speaking with 12 different dell support staff they seemed unconcerned that my daughter wasn't getting the only thing she ask for, a $3100 Alienware 18x. I asked each CS if they had children and all 11 said no. My wife and I spent 72 hours off and on the phone with dell CS stressing the importance of a promise to a child on Xmas. I even asked one to explain why the largest computer company in the world could not deliver as they promised. He hung up the phone. They would not give a reason for the delay. They only said it was a specialty build, high end PC. So I give Dell a zero for CS and caring for their Dell Preferred customers, but I give a 10 for lying, not caring and being rude to a 12 year old child on Xmas.

14 Posts

December 29th, 2012 12:00

Yep, dealing with Dell has so far been a real disappointment, so much so that although we really would like the PC system to work, apparently Dell isn't going give us that opportunity and I will have to return the R4 and go with a hopefully better customer support of one of one of the other high-end "boutique" vendors such as Falcon Northwest or those listed in my monthly issues of Maximum PC magazine.  Hopefuly we will then get at least a response to our needs and a system built in the USofA and not in a maquiladora south of the border. I first got hooked up with somebody in southern India who told me, after a twenty-minute wait, that he could not help because his was a paid service and we had already paid for the (nonexistent) support, so he would transfer us...[[disconnect!]

Called again, was helped by a woman in Mexico, I guess, who disconnected after some good help after exactly ten minutes, also after a twenty-minute wait...

Called again this morning, got a guy in Costa Rica who chatted for ten minutes about the weather there and also disconnected after only ten minutes, also after another twenty-minute wait on hold to "speak to the next available agent".

My son is very patient and says we should at least wait two more days, 'til Monday night, so I will do this in hopes someone, anyone from Dell support contacts me. I've left my cellphone number, email, landline, and service tag information everywhere I can think of and no joy... .

Also researched online how to return the R4 for a refund. Dell says it must be insured for full value and prepaid shipped, both at the customer's expense.

Aargh!

11 Posts

December 29th, 2012 13:00

I just went through some of the same issues dealing with Dell/Alienware.........I waster 4+ hours of cell phone airtime being bounced from Dell tech to Alienware, back to Dell customer service back to Alienware.

see my post here........

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/customercare/f/4674/p/19483417/20262710.aspx#20262710

I waved the white flag and sending my new R4 back.

P.S my issues too were with the keyboard, the computer alos locked up several times but that could be caused by the keyboard.

No Events found!