Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2015 05:00

Warranties/Accidental Damage Service

I am preparing to buy an Alienware 17 laptop while I will be on business in the US. I actually live in Warsaw, Poland though in Europe.

Can I ask what is the process to transfer (if possible) the warranty to Poland? 

Also, can I move the 'Accidental Damage Service' and if yes how/what is the process? Feel free to give me a link to read through but actual direct info would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

BR

PPerrakis

11 Posts

July 8th, 2015 07:00

Hello,

What do you mean it cannot be exported? I dont plan to sell it to anyone... I would be buying the PC for personal use. Are you saying I cannot buy a computer in the US and literally carry it with me outside the country?

Regarding the Accident Damage Service, you are mentioning that claims outside the country of purchase 'may be available on a commercially reasonable effort basis and may not be available to all customers. Could you explain to me what constitutes a commercially reasonable effort and also for what customers would it be available to?

I have checked and Dell Poland does offer ADS so as a service in general, it IS available... so the question is, who should I ask if it would be possible to make that transfer?

9.4K Posts

Hi Pperrakis,

Thanks for Posting on the Forum.

There are a couple of issues here.  1st, if you purchase a computer in the United States, per the Terms of Sale, it can not be exported outside the USA.  2nd, the Accidental Damage coverage may not be available in another country.  So, it would be better to purchase in the country where you reside.

"Purchases may not be resold or exported. Your purchase is for your own use, not for resale or export."

"¹ Dell Accidental Damage Service is only available during the term for Dell’s limited hardware warranty and excludes theft, loss, and damage due to fire, flood or other acts of nature, or intentional damage. Customer may be required to return unit to Dell. Limit of 1 qualified incident per contract year. For complete details, visit Dell.com/servicecontracts.

² Claims outside of the country in which the customer purchased this service may be available on a commercially reasonable effort basis and may not be available to all customers.

Availability varies by country. To learn more, customers and Dell Channel Partners should contact their Dell sales representative for more information."

If you need additional assistance, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Robert

9.4K Posts

PPerrakis,

Yes, according to the Terms of Sale, the computer can not be purchased in the US and exported outside the USA.

If the computer is supported outside the USA, and the parts and services are not available through a Dell provider, a "commercially reasonable effort" may be available.  It would be available to those people who meet specific criteria based upon troubleshooting done with Dell Tech Support. 

As was mentioned previously in the link provided "Availability varies by country. To learn more, customers and Dell Channel Partners should contact their Dell sales representative for more information."

These things are mentioned so that customers can have a good purchase experience.  According to the terms above, if your purchase is exported from the USA and there is a need to make a warranty claim for Tech Support, the computer would have to be returned to the country of purchase at the customers expense.

Regards,
Robert

11 Posts

July 9th, 2015 02:00

Ok, thank you for the response. It answers my question but I do have one more question and a comment.

If what you are saying is correct, what is the point of 'Ownership Transfer'. Copy pasting from the dell.com website

"If you’ve recently purchased or obtained a used Dell product or moved to another country, you’ll need to complete the ownership and warranty transfer process to receive in-warranty support services. Generally, the transfer process takes up to 7 business days, but international transfers can take up to 10 business days, so it’s a good idea to transfer the warranty before you actually need support."

Looking at the 2 bolded parts... since the product is not allowed to be resold, how could I obtain a used Dell product? Furthermore it then says if I moved to another country... how is that possible if I cant export the laptop????

And the comment:

It is mind boggling that a company would believe a term like ' you cant take it outside the country ' is a legal and valid clause and could stand in court. I can understand it if they said 'Warranty valid only in country of purchase'  or something like that but the idea that I cannot export personal property is crazy...

Lets say I was a US citizen and had to move abroad permanently (for work, life or whatever other reason)... would Dell expect me to abandon the computer that I paid for?

PS. Thank you for being supportive and responsive, I am writing the above honestly and without any anger or stress, its just valid questions and hope you can comment/answer those as well.

Thank you in advance,

PPerrakis

9.4K Posts

July 9th, 2015 07:00

PPerrakis,

I've tried to answer your questions as best I can.  However, the thread appears to be answering itself and is becoming repetitive, so we can take this discussion offline by using the Private Message option in this Forum.  Or if a more in depth explanation is required, Dell's Legal department should be consulted.

Regards,

Robert

11 Posts

August 5th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

So I dont know what to think... it seems Dell really doesnt like my money. I have been trying to get a Dell Alienware 17 laptop for the past week and it just isnt working.

First attempt saw my order cancelled after 3 days of Order Processing status. Apparently they did not accept an international AMEX card (the order would be delivered in the US, in a US address and to a US resident, I just used my international AMEX as I have a scheme that gives me a % back). Lets say this is not their fault, rules are rules and even though the fact that an international card is not acceptable is not written anywhere I can move past it.

I place the order again, using a US CC this time, and the order was In Production after a day of Order Processing.

Now 3 days later (I am checking every day) I just check if it moved ahead or anything and I see... 'Order Cancelled'. No explanation, no email and no text notification although I marked I wanted such notifications.

I dont know why yet as I am on hold to speak to the order management folk but no matter what they tell me I am just so frustrated. They will end up re-putting the order in the system and then what? How do I know it wont get cancelled again? Plus the big delay in shipping now that is becoming an issue as I will be travelling at the end of August (order was initially supposed to arrive 17/8, then 19/8 (after the change) and now god knows when...

11 Posts

August 5th, 2015 15:00

I am coming here for any support the community/liasons can offer as I am really disappointed and upset.

On Friday (31/7) I spoke with a sales agent regarding a Price Match as I had found my dream Alienware for a good price on one of the approved retailers. He verified, confirmed with his manager, discussed specs with me in case I wanted to add something and then created a quote for me that was sent to my email. (I have the log with all this discussion and details of the agent and the quote).

I right away accessed the quote and placed the order. In my excitement I used my international AMEX (as I get points on it) not thinking it might be an issue. Alas it was and on Monday I saw that the order was cancelled (mind you no communication/call/email from Dell... only my obsessive checking showed me that it was cancelled).

I called to ask why, the first person (customer service) didnt know and they directed me to order management. He asked right away if I had used an international card, I confirmed and he asked me to place the order again using a US card).

I did and was happy to see that on Tuesday the order had moved to 'in production'.

My hopes were dashed when my obssessive checking showed me that now on Wednesday the order has been marked cancelled again. I called and after going through 5-6 agents (customer service, then order management, then finance, then customer care and lastly sales) and spending 2-3 hours I have an answer.

Apparently (and according to the sales supervisor I spoke to) the offer I got was too low and as they are not allowed to go below 1400 USD + tax (even though I have it in black and white in the received quote) it cannot be honored!!!! He insisted that the discount department (not sure if thats what he said) is the one cancelling it and that even if I was to re-put the order once more, it would be cancelled again!!!

Since when is an actual quoted offer from a Dell agent and with supervisor approval deemed 'too low'. SInce when is the price match guarantee only a guarantee if its a convenient offer?

I really trust Dell and that is why I came to Dell to place the order (and get a very nice and helpful agent his commission) instead of buying from the retailer and I am not basically screwed. The retailer has gone out of stock on the item (makes sense with such an offer) and I am here with no order, no laptop and just miserable.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice/intervention.

No Events found!