Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2014 09:00

Warranty Start Date

I bought a desktop computer for my aged mother for Christmas, which was just dandy until I discovered that the monitor wasn't going to arrive until February 7, almost 45 days after the computer itself. Because I was unable to install the computer, determine if it worked, etc., I contacted Dell and offered to return it to them until the monitor could be shipped unless they could extend the warranty/support period(s) to start on the day the MONITOR was shipped. They said they'd "come to an arrangement' or words to that effect. The computer turned out to work fine, but I have just noticed that my warranty period has NOT been extended by the 45 days that passed before the computer could be taken out of its box and installed. I am deeply disappointed that no action has been taken -- Basically, Dell got to clear its warehouse at year-end, using MY space to store their hardware and booking the sale, and I get a truncated warranty and service. This hardly seems fair. EKV, editor.

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 10:00

EditoNYC

I don't know who said, 'they'd come to an arrangement' but Dell's policy is your warranty starts the date of the invoice.  For them to take it upon themselves and make that statement that goes against Dell's warranty policy was wrong.  When you say ''they'' said, who are they.

Z...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 11:00

I quote an email received  from Dell Customer Care dated 12/27/13:

"I consulted my Case Manager about your issue, and she said that we will take note of this and will work on a concession to be given to you for the inconvenience you experienced for not having the monitor at the same time with the computer."

Perhaps I was foolish in presuming that the concession would be an extension of the warranty period -- I'm curious, though, about what it might be, as I have yet to see one.

I'm still outraged that Dell would send what is clearly half a system and not usable in any way. I've never had this sort of problem with Dell before, and don't think that I should NEED to triple-check between all the lines before placing an order with them. Dell was clearly shipping what they could at year end with no regard for the recipient or the usability of the products shipped, which is certainly one kind of business model. I expect better from the company than a blatant 45-day use of my cash and my storage space for their year-end bookkeeping advantage.

But I note that you are not an employee of Dell nor, I imagine, do you speak for them.

EKV

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 12:00

EditoNYC

No, I do not speak for them. What I do say though is read by Dell and checked.  I've been corrected before by mod,  so I'm not always right. I am here to help you though, I am not an extension of Dell.

I  just happen to have been around long enough to know how things work. Save that letter, perhaps they'll send a gift card, or perhaps they'll do what you want?

My word sure isn't final, but I do try  to post things as I know it.

Also, it's very common for an order to be sent in parts.  The monitor and system don't always arrive together. But, a 45 day spread is too long in my opinion.

To escalate this issue fill out this form here. They should get back to you in a about two business days.

Z.........

No Events found!