Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 2nd, 2016 17:00

Warranty issue - Dell Customer Service will not honor my warranty

I purchased an XPS 13 laptop last year in February 2015. Dell shipped the laptop on February 20 or thereabouts; however, the shipment was lost in the mail.  Dell did send out a new shipment, but I didn't receive the laptop until March 6, 2015.  I contacted Dell last year, shortly after I received the laptop, to report a problem with the screen.  The issue has never been resolved.  Upon contacting Dell today to resolve the issue, Dell tech support is stating that my computer is out of warranty and quoting Feb 20 as the date the warranty begun.  I have been trying to explain repeatedly to customer care that my shipment was lost and I didn't get the laptop until several weeks later.  Thus it is unreasonable for the warranty to begin on a date at which I didn't have the laptop in hand.  The bottom line is this: Is there someone in the US that I can speak about customer care's refusal to live up to the 1 yr warranty that I was promised?  I have already been troubleshooting this issue with Dell over the course of several months.  They stated that I should send the laptop in to be serviced and possibly replaced if the issue cannot be addressed.

Please let me know whom I can contact about this.  I have spent 5 hours today on the phone with representatives from India and have not been able to make any progress.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 9th, 2016 12:00

Hi Dgposton, 

Thank you for posting your customer experience on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. Please allow me to apologize for any frustration or disappointment this matter may have caused. Perhaps I can explain why the warranty is associated with the ship (invoice) date. 

It is difficult for Dell to schedule delivery of, or know the exact date of, receipt of orders, so the shipping date is established as the date your warranty begins. In the event the system takes longer than expected to be delivered, we still determine the start of the warranty with the shipping date. As in your case, the system was lost in transit, it is actually your warranty at work that allows us to set up the exchange system. It is associated with the original order number, as a new order was not generated. 

It appears you have been in contact with Dell technicians regarding your ongoing problem as you stated above “They stated that I should send the laptop in to be serviced and possibly replaced if the issue cannot be addressed.” You may only have mail-in service available under your warranty terms of service. It sounds like they are continuing to work with you on the previously reported issue, 

Any technical difficulty that has been reported prior to the warranty expiration date, and still remains unresolved, will continue to be addressed until a resolution is obtained. Any new difficulties reported after the expiration date will not be covered under the original warranty. Since extended warranty is not available once a problem has been diagnosed, I always recommend our customers purchase the greatest amount of extended hardware warranty to protect their investment. Like all mechanical devices, computers are subject to hardware failure or accidental damage. Consequently, we offer warranty coverage and a choice of Service Plan Agreements that furnish our customers with a thorough range of coverage options at reasonable prices to protect your computer against life's accidents.

Dell understands that customers may not always have time to spend on the telephone and provides alternative ways to contact us. In addition to contacting us on the phone, 1-800-624-9896, or here on the Dell Community Forum, you may contact us through our online chat technical support, or contact us via twitter @DellCares. DellCares is also available on #Google+ for order support, troubleshooting help, and more.

I trust this information is helpful. If you still need assistance, please reply to my email and provide the requested information.

Thanks,
Lorna

No Events found!