Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2009 15:00

Adding Disk 3 to AX150SCi

We have an AX150SCi which we purchased with 3 x 500GB about two years ago.  I just purchased another 3 x 500GB drives from Dell.  I put the new disks in slots 3, 4, and 5.

I cannot seem to make Disk 3 a hot spare or add it to the existing disk pool.  When I go to either of these options in Navisphere Express, Disk 3 shows either "N/A" or "N/A for HS" and there is no check box/radio box for that drive.  The other two drives show "available" and have a check box.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I should proceed?

9.3K Posts

April 10th, 2009 08:00

The first 4 drives reserve space for the OS of the storage processors. Even though you only have 1 storage processor currently (SC is for single controller), the space still gets reserved on disk 3 in case you ever opt to upgrade to dual controllers.

Because of this reservation of space these drives (disk 0 to 3) cannot be hotspares. Any of the other slots can be hotspares.

9.3K Posts

April 15th, 2009 14:00

It's a limitation of the flare. For some reason, even though the available space is the same as on drive 0-2, the system won't allow adding any of the flare drives (disk 0-3) to an existing disk pool.

Your only option would be to back up the data, destroy the virtual disks on the diskpool on disks 0-2, then destroy the pool, and recreate everything using disks 0-3.

1.2K Posts

April 9th, 2009 06:00

Try the disk in a different slot, traditionally the hotspare is in the last slot of the array. So disk 11(bottom right).

If the disk is still not recognised move it to another slot. Move one of the other disks to slot 3 and see if it's recognised there. A bit long winded but it's process of elimination, either a bad slot or bad disk.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2009 09:00

I moved Disk 3 to Disk 11 and successfully made it a hot spare.  I moved Disk 5 to Disk 3 and I have the same problem.  I cannot add it to the existing disk pool, though I can create a new disk pool that includes Disk 3.

It is recognized.  It shows "Available" on the Disk Pools page, but when I click on "Disk Pool 1" and the "Expand" button, there is not check box for Disk 3 and it shows "N/A."

No Events found!