Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

June 23rd, 2018 06:00

Dell scv2000 Series Allocated space on all disk

Dear all,

Sorry but i will ask a silly question but i need to make sure everithing is ok.

As you can see bellow, all the space on my drives is fully allocated, i still have 1.19TB of free space but that just means all my drives have all space "reserved" for data and everything should work without any problems, is that correct?

dell.jpg

What kind of problems/risks i may have with this situation?

At the moment I have 1.19TB of free space and I don't expect to have much grow in a near future.

At the moment i dont have any warning. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 

6.9K Posts

June 25th, 2018 07:00

Hello NjsS,

Looking at the photo that you listed I am seeing that you are running Raid 5-9, & that you have all your drives allocated.  With R5-9 there is about 12% overhead that is used.  So, looking at your page pool there is enough free space for your volume to grow.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

29 Posts

June 28th, 2018 04:00

Hello NjsS, 

As Sam mentioned you are fine right now, I wanted to chime in and let you know about the RAID overhead and address the line you mentioned about growth.  When looking in DSM at available space that is a RAW number, so you must factor in RAID overhead.

You are using RAID 5-9 which is 12.5% overhead, you have a 4TB volume you would need 4.5TB of RAW capacity to accommodate that volume. (4TB + 12.5% =4.5TB) So just keep that in mind if you plan on expanding a LUN or creating new LUNs so you do not go into emergency mode. 

Cheers,

Dave

230 Posts

July 19th, 2018 13:00

I am not a big fan of looking at space usage under the disk folder. I feel this does not always show the full picture. I would suggest to follow the steps on page 315 of the Dell Storage Manager 2016 R3 Administrator’s Guide:
For each storage type, the data progression pressure report displays how space is allocated, consumed, and scheduled to move across different RAID types and storage tiers. Use the data progression pressure report to make decisions about the types of disks to add to a Storage Center.
1. Select a Storage Center from the Storage view. (Data Collector connected Storage Manager Client only)
2. Click the Storage tab.
3. In the Storage tab navigation pane, expand Storage Type, then select the individual storage type that you want to examine.
4. Click the Pressure Report subtab to view the data progression pressure report. By default, the most recent data gathered from the Storage Center is displayed.
5. (Optional) To view a previously generated data progression report, select a report from the drop-down menu. Reports are identified by the date and time at which they were generated.

ForumPost.png

Disk Space Available - Total amount of disk space available on the disks of a Storage Center
Disk Space Allocated - Total amount of disk space allocated on the disks

Disk Allocated - Space reserved for volumes.
Disk Used - From the amount of space allocated, the amount that is in use by volumes.

Volume Allocated - Amount of space reserved for use by volumes after RAID is applied.
Volume Used - Amount of space used by volumes after RAID is applied.

I feel this can give you a better view of what is allocated, used, and available.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-sc2000_administrator-guide_en-us.pd 

No Events found!