Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2014 05:00

Backup on DD620 using Networker over FC

Hi,

We just have started using EMC for backup: Data Domain 620 and Networker. But I can't find a manual to backup on data domain using FC a specific one (Step by Step).

Over Ethernet through Networker Server or directly to data domain it works but I can't make a backup using FC. This error appears:

98519:save: Unable to setup direct save with : no matching FC interface data domain devices for save of client ; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

Can someone help me with this issue?

Regards,

FG

May 30th, 2014 06:00

Ok I'll see that and If I have any other questions I will write here again.

Thank you in advance.

14.3K Posts

Btw, for DDBoFC check here to see requirements.

14.3K Posts

Are you talking about DD Boost over FC or using solely FC attached VTL which is defined on DD?

Both of them. First I tried on using VTL but later I saw DD Boost over FC. Which of them is has better performance? That I want to implement.

I have downloaded the Admin Guide but it's very hard to find how to setup for new like me that didn't worked before with DD, and there are some terms that I think I can't understand without practicing how it works.

Or which book do you prefer me to read in order to understand how to setup properly DD and Networker.

14.3K Posts

I do not have DD Boost of FC - just regular one over IP and that one is faster than VTL (plus you avoid typical gotchas with workflow that come with tape and tape emulation).  As to set up VTL, all you need to do is define it at DD, present it to host and from there is configuration of typical library.  As for DD Boost over IP, that is rather easy and you can use wizard for that. As for FC, I do not have experience, but there are papers on that subject I believe (and admin guide for both NW and DD should cover basics).  Note that for DD Boost you need to have appropriate licenses (same goes for VTL).

7 Posts

June 16th, 2016 08:00

Hi FannolGashi,
i know this is too late to start this conversation. But we are also stuck in similar situation where we want to use DDBOOST over FC. Please suggest if you have implemented or have any guide for the same

Thx,

62 Posts

June 17th, 2016 02:00

Hi Fannol,

In addition to what Hrvoje mentions, you will need to check that your version of Networker supports DDBoost over FC, as with Netwoker, the version of ddboost is bundled as part of the product.

You should be able to find an integration guide in the Networker product area, for example the integration guide for DataDomain and Networker 8.2 SP1:

https://support.emc.com/docu57693_NetWorker_8.2_SP1_Data_Domain_Deduplication_Devices_Integration_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

cheers, Rich.

7 Posts

June 19th, 2016 08:00

Thank you Rich.

but the document is quite generic. Please suggest if reference docs or steps to configure DD boost + Networker configuration.

62 Posts

July 6th, 2016 02:00

Hi Ashaz,

Firstly, apologies for the delay but I've only just returned to the office.

The document I provided isn't that generic, i.e. it contains steps on how to configure ddboost etc. Could you be more specific as to what you exactly looking for? For example, once you perform the steps highlighted in the document, this is really all you need to perform from a Data Domain perspective, i.e. creating the ddboost user, password, storage unit etc; the rest of the configuration is performed on Networker.

You may find that if you are looking for further guidance from a Networker perspective, it may be worth cross posting in the Networker support forum.

cheers, Rich.

No Events found!