Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2014 23:00

DD2500 10Gb Aggregation

Hi all,

I will be installing a DD2500 with standard on-board hardware and no I/O modules, but have read in the admin guide that the on-board 10Gb interfaces do not support link aggregation.

What is the recommendation around this if aggregation is a requirement? Ideally teaming the 10Gb interfaces would be preferred due to the speed benefits over the 4x1Gb interfaces. Otherwise, can the 10Gb interfaces be used in a virtual group for failover instead on the DD2500?

Thanks in advance

Justin

208 Posts

June 20th, 2014 00:00

Hi Justin, I actually didn't know it wasn't possible to aggregate the onboard 10000BaseT ports of a DD2500, I'll look into that in a moment, however, what is the intended purpose for these ports in your environment?

Are you planning to use them for DDBoost/OST to ingest data?

If so, you can set an IP on each of the interfaces as normal interfaces and then place them into an ifgroup.

That will essentially hand the interface aggregation/load balancing and resilience to DDBoost with no requirement to set anything special at your network switch, all the aggregation will be handled by DDBoost in software.

The 2x interfaces do not need to be exclusively for DDBoost and that ifgroup, they are essentially members of it only and can handle other activities, like replication or management.

Doing it this way is actually the preferred option anyway, so may be a good choice for you.

Regards, Jonathan

9 Posts

June 20th, 2014 00:00

Thanks for the feedback. The interface will be used for CIFS, so it will be teamed with another interface. There's no DDBoost being used in this environment.

Thanks again

Justin

4 Posts

April 25th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

You can aggregate both 10gbit interfaces with vtl0. It works perfectly.

April 25th, 2015 21:00

The 5.5 DDOS guide says aggregation is not supported on the onboard 10GB interfaces (see pages 59-60):

https://support.emc.com/docu53504_Data-Domain-Operating-System-5.5-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

How did you make it to work?

4 Posts

April 26th, 2015 23:00

You can look at the picture as attached.

We completed port channel configuration on our switch and on DD2500 as well.

1 Attachment

208 Posts

April 26th, 2015 23:00

I agree, it's not supported and still appears not to be from the tests I've performed on latest DDOS versions.

10GBase-SR (optical) and 10Gbase-CU/10GBase-CR (copper Twinax SFP+) are both options for the DD2500, both these 10Gbe cards support aggregation.

The onboard ports ethMe and ethMf are both 10GBase-T - EMC do not support aggregation on those interfaces.

Regards, Jonathan

208 Posts

April 28th, 2015 09:00

OK, so I've looked high and low for anything stating that this is now supported or what version of DDOS made it possible to aggregate the 2x onboard 10GBase-T ports (ethMe and ethMf).

From what I can see it is still not officially supported in any version of DDOS.

You are also running 5.5.1.4 which is "directed availability - with restricted availability", not GA code.

It's great that you have it working and you are happy with it but I just wanted to feed back on what I had found on this topic and something to bare in mind if you have any issues with it.

I will continue to investigate.

Regards, Jonathan

4 Posts

April 28th, 2015 11:00

We used to use that config since 5.4.1.1, and did not face any problem on that config since we bought our DD2500.

14.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 08:00

The point is - if you encounter error you won't get any support if official statement is that this is not supported.  I would not gamble with data protection

3 Posts

September 20th, 2016 13:00

What is you config on your network side ?

What kind of Swith, NExus ?

208 Posts

September 21st, 2016 00:00

Hi Pooc,

Are you looking for help on an issue you are having or accidentally replying to a thread that was covered off in 2015?

Regards, Jonathan

3 Posts

September 21st, 2016 15:00

I want to know the config he did on the switch side.

I' trying to do the same with failover first then with link aggregation using only the onborad 10 Gb

I'm using Nexus switches

No Events found!