Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2017 05:00

Data Domain -- Clearing expired snapshots

Hi All,

Our company changed names and I'm in a bind getting to some support documents so I thought I would ask here.

I have a Data Domain DD2500 which is out of space. I have 3 snapshots that I expired yesterday and then I ran the file system cleaning. The expired snapshots are still there. Is there something else I need to do? I don't see a delete option.

Thanks

4 Posts

February 7th, 2017 09:00

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. I did a bit of digging and you are correct, there is replication going on. I expired them also on our other Data Domain and ran a clean there as well. Should that take care of it?

I really wished there was a better way of informing the user after the cleanup that it couldn't be deleted instead of saying "Cleanup complete"

Nick

30 Posts

February 7th, 2017 09:00

So to remove snapshots all you should need to do is:

- Expire the snapshot

- Run clean

The snapshots should be physically removed right at the start of clean and, as a result, should no longer be shown in 'snapshot list mtree [mtree name]' once clean is in phase 1. Obviously, however, this is not happening in your case.

The likely reason for this is that the snapshots are still required to be kept on the system by something like mtree replication - in this case DDFS 'softlocks' the snapshot so even if its expired its not removed during clean (as if it were removed it would break the functionality of which ever feature was using it).

The snapshot name might give you some idea of what is using the snapshot - for example mtree replication generally calls snapshots something like 'REPL-MTREE-AUTO-YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS'. You might have an old replication context which is no longer being used/enabled but is holding snapshots on disk. Alternatively there were issues in older versions of DDOS where snapshots softlocks were not correctly removed.

I would recommend contacting support and getting them to have a look at the system to determine why the snapshots are not being removed. They can then advise next steps - this is probably safer than trying to break replication contexts and so on to get round this (when it might not be required).

Thanks, James

14.3K Posts

February 7th, 2017 13:00

nick6266 wrote:

I really wished there was a better way of informing the user after the cleanup that it couldn't be deleted instead of saying "Cleanup complete"

Nick

Cleanup is cleanup - it is not just about snapshots.  Plus, what gets cleaned up is cleaned up.  In your case, you expected this to be cleaned, but forgot about dependency with replication.  As for cleanup process, it simply did its job and cleanup complete is correct message.

12 Posts

April 19th, 2017 02:00

Hi Nick6266 or for others reference. There is a customer access KB that through some inputs on: MTree_replication Snapshot not getting deleted. Check this out: https://support.emc.com/kb/471648

No Events found!